I'll Wed You In the Golden Summertime (2nd revised version)

Summary: Set in 6x21 "I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime." Before Kai can stab Jo after he appears, Katherine appears and stands in his way, stopping him from being able to hurt her. And when he does the spell, she uses Traveler magic to keep Elena from getting hurt. After Kai hurts Katherine and she gets thrown by his magic, will Damon care enough to save her, considering she's human? Will she live?

It was a dark night, as Ric and Jo stood in front of each other with Damon and Elena as their best man and bridesmaid. They were getting married and just about ready to say "I do."
Suddenly, Kai appeared behind Jo and in front of Elena, which made Elena gasp in shock and Ric and Damon tense. That made Jo turn around to see him. Before he could stab her with the knife in his hand though, a very human Katherine appeared between Jo and Kai, facing him.
"Katherine," was all Damon could say, while Elena could only be silent.
"Hello, Damon; Elena. Miss me? I know I missed you." She gave a smile, before looking at Kai again and telling Ric, "Finish it and then get out of here."
Ric was shocked to see her, while Jo didn't know who she was, but they said "I do" and got the hell out of there.
"Well, if it isn't the selfish Katherine being selfless," Kai greeted. He went to stab Elena, but Katherine magically through the knife out of his hand. Then, when Kai through magic at everyone, she brought up a protection shield for Elena, knowing she too was human now.
Damon started to get to his feet, as he looked around at the chaos. Then, when he saw Elena on the floor, he knelt beside her and pulled her gently into his arms.
"She's okay," Katherine informed him, as she looked at him. "I put up a protection shield so she didn't get hurt like she could have. Get her out of here."
Just as Damon looked at her and Katherine turned her attention back to Kai, Kai stabbed her in the lower stomach with the knife he had grabbed from the floor.
As everything began to go gray and she was magically thrown, Damon had Stefan get Elena out of there, in which he did.
When Stefan had left with Elena, Damon blurred over to where his sire had landed and had been buried by debris and long pieces of wood from the ceiling. He loved Elena, but now that she had been selfless and was badly injured from Kai, he knew he had to save her. He had to at least try to save her life.
With vampire strength, he soon had her unburied and could tell that she was definitely badly injured. She lay on her back with eyes closed and skin very pale, a piece of wood protruding from her abdomen, bleeding heavily from both that wound and the one Kai had given her. He could easily tell that she had already lost a lot of blood and, with vampire hearing, he could hear that her breathing was slow and shallow.
He gently pulled her into his arms, crook of arm supporting her head, and pulled the piece of wood out and tossing it to the ground. He then bit his wrist and put it to her lips, making his blood go down her throat to save her life.
"Stay with me, Katherine. You saved Elena. Now it's my turn. Don't you dare die on me. Keep breathing. You hear me? You're a fighter. Just open your eyes for me," he said, as he forced his blood down her throat, which soon healed her.
When her wounds had healed and her breathing and skin color were back to normal, he sighed in relief.
"Come on, Katherine. Open your eyes. Be a good girl and wake up. I need you to just open your eyes. You can do it. Just open your eyes."
He waited for her to awaken and, sure enough, twenty minutes later, she groaned as she began to come to.
"That's a good girl. Wake up for me."
She groggily opened her eyes to see that she was in her elder childe's arms.
"Damon?" she said, still feeling tired.
"Hey," he greeted. "You're finally awake. Now let's go home."
He got to his feet, as he helped her to hers. Then, when she almost lost her balance, he put a hand on her arm to keep her on her feet.
"Easy," he said gently. "Focus, Katherine. Look at me."
She looked at him, but everything was blurry.
"Kat," he called.
She knew he was right in front of her, but everything seemed too far away. Then she was swimming in darkness.
He caught her from hitting the ground, with vamp reflexes, hand between her shoulder blades, arm holding her up.
"Let's get home," he said. Then, as he gently picked her up in his arms, he added, "Upsie daisy." Then he blurred her to the Salvatore boarding house.

Once in his room, he gently layed her down in his bed and sat on her bedside. He only hoped she'd be okay. She wasn't so bad as a human, despite her whining and always ending up in danger from one thing or another.

She didn't know how long she was out, but when she came to, she saw that she was in Damon's bed with him seated on her bedside, a gentle hand on the side of her face, as if he cared for her.
She smiled up at him and he smiled back.
"How long was I out?" she asked.
"A few hours. How do you feel?"
"A lot better. Thanks."
"You're welcome."
They smiled at each other again.

In the end, Elena was okay as well as Kat who went to live with them, since she had no place to go. Also, they finally were able to get rid of Kai once and for all without killing Jo in the process.