Break Even

Summary: Set in S2 "The Return" and "Masquerade" as flashbacks and S5 "Dead Man On Campus" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer." "Dead Man On Campus" is the present and "I Know What You Did Last Summer" is sort of like a flashback. This is purely Datherine. After saving her life in "I Know What You Did Last Summer" revision and "Dead Man On Campus," he realizes that he doesn't want her to die and decides to give her hope that there may be a loophole so she doesn't have to die.

*The Return*

I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing

Just prayin' to a God that I don't believe in

'Cause I got time while she got freedom

'Cause when a heart breaks no it don't break even

Her best days will be some of my worst

She finally met a man that's gonna put her first

It was a dismal night, as Damon and Katherine made out at the Salvatore boarding house in the living room. It was filled with lust and passion until he finally got a grip of himself and told her, "Time out."

A moment later, they stood a distance away from each other, as Damon began.

"I have one question. Answer it right and it's back to fire rockets and red glare. I'll forget the last 145 years I've spent missing you. I'll forget how much I loved you. I'll forget everything and we can start over. This can be our defining moment. See, we have time. That's the beauty of eternity. I just need the truth just this once."

She now stood in front of him.

"Stop. I already know the question and its answer. The truth is...I've never loved you. It was always Stefan."

As her words sunk in, she slowly turned around and walked out, not liking that she'd lied to him about her feelings for him. She knew though that Klaus would be coming to town. This was her way of protecting him. If Klaus knew that she and Damon were in love, she feared that Klaus would rip his heart out in front of her, just in spite. She'd lost her human family to Klaus. She wouldn't let him take her vampire family away from her. Not if she could help it.

As she left the house, Damon grabbed an empty shot glass and threw out at the fireplace. It landed on the floor there and shattered into pieces, just like Damon now felt. He was shattered into pieces, thinking that she had told the truth about her feelings for him.

*Masquerade*

While I'm wide awake

She's no trouble sleeping

'Cause when a heart breaks no it don't break even...even...no

What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you

And what am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're ok

I'm falling to pieces, yeah, I'm falling to pieces

Katherine woke up after being vervained, still dressed the way she had been when he and his brother had tried to kill her. She didn't quite recognize where she was.

"Where am I?" she questioned, seeing Damon right outside of wherever she was at.

"Where you should've been all along," he informed her, and began to close the tomb.