A Life Hanging in the Balance (Damon and Kat's POV)

Summary: What if Katherine had been attacked by a werewolf as well as Damon? Set in S3 "As I Lay Dying", but different. What if Katherine and Damon truly both loved each other? What will happen? Will someone get bitten? Will someone die? Will they survive?

Katherine Pierce

It's a dark night as I walk through the woods, when I stop to listen further to the noise only I can hear with my vampire hearing. It's a werewolf. It sounds like it's attacking someone or something. Ignoring my instincts to run off, I head towards the sound. Werewolves and vampires are natural born enemies, after all.

When I see the scene, I freeze. It's after Damon Salvatore. The guy I love but he never knew I love or loved him. He always thought I chose Stefan over him, when I truly loved both of them. I watch as they fight.

When it throws him, I charge at it at vampire speed, but then it pins me to the ground and growls. It lowers its head and bites into my shoulder, tearing into it, which is deadly to vampires. As it does, I gasp in pain and try to get it off, but I can't.

Damon Salvatore

"Katherine!" I yell as I see it bite her.

I get to my feet and at vamp speed, throw it off her. I love her. I'll always love her. I'll always care for her. I wouldn't want her to die. A sire's bond is strong. So strong that it hurts the childe or childes when the sire is dead.

I gently pick her up and at vamp speed, carrying her to my mansion before the werewolf, whoever it is, can go after either or both of us again.

I lay her down on my bed, knowing she's dying slowly. Kat is counting on me. Her life in hanging in the balance by a thread. It's my duty to save her life, I feel. She did for me a few times in the past. It's only fair. It's justice. Plus, I love her and she's my sire.

"Hang in there. You're going to be okay, Kat," I tell her.

I rush downstairs to the fridge where I keep blood, and take out the rest of the tube of what's left of Klaus' blood. I close the fridge.

Once it's warm, I race back up the stairs.

Katherine Pierce

I lay in his bed, eyes closed, too weak to hold my own. I guess this is somewhat how a slow death feels like. But it's worth it. I'll gladly die in Damon's place.

A moment later, I feel an arm under my head gently lifting my head. Then I feel the familiar liquid and hear him say, "Drink." And so I do.

Half an hour later, I feel much better.