Listen To Your Heart

Summary: Set in 5x1 with 2x1 as a flashback. Damon finds her in the wrecked car after he tried handing her over and she tried to run. She's worst off than she was in the show. Is he too late to save her, or will she live?

*The Return*

I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I get a notion from the look in your eyes

Yeah

You've built a love but that love falls apart

A little piece of Heaven turns too dark

Listen to your heart

When he's calling for you

Listen to your heart

There's nothing else you can do

It was a dismal night in the living room, as they stood in front of each other after Damon had called a pause on their make out.

"I have a question. Answer it and it's back to fireworks and rockets red glare. Answer it right and I'll forget the last 145 years that I've spent missing you. I'll forget how much I loved you. I'll forget everything and we can start over. This could be our defining moment because we have time. That's the beauty of eternity. I just need the truth, just this once."

"Stop. I already know the question and its answer. The truth is...I've never loved you."

She left the boarding house, as her words sunk in, though she'd lied to him to protect him.

Upset at what she'd said, he threw an empty shot glass at the fireplace and it shattered into pieces.

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*

I don't know where you're going

And I don't know why

But listen to your heart

Before you tell him goodbye

With Silas in his mind, Damon called Katherine to get her to turn back around, but it had failed, because she'd realized what he was trying to do, so she'd told him goodbye and hung up on him. Since he couldn't get her back on the phone, whether he called her or text her, he realized that something was wrong. Silas read that in his mind and left to figure out a different way to get to Katherine.

Damon left, walking through the streets, searching for his car, since she'd been driving his car.

Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worth while

The precious moments are all lost in the tide

Yeah

They're swept away and nothing is what it seems

The feeling of belonging...to your dreams

Listen to your heart

When he's calling for you

Listen to your heart

There's nothing else you can do

Katherine, human, sat in the driver's side seat, quite injured, trying to stay awake. She'd accidentally crashed the car into a streetlight pole. She was way too injured to leave the car, no matter how much she figured that she had to. She knew Damon would be mad at her trying to run the moment she'd realized what he was going to do. She knew Damon had had to have a reason. She knew what Silas could do and had a thought that maybe Silas had gotten into his head and told him something that Damon couldn't pass up. Even though Damon had been the one to try and do that to her, she knew it had to be Silas' fault, so she wasn't mad at Damon. Partly, she hoped that Damon was coming to her rescue. Otherwise, she knew she was going to die. She was weak from blood loss, her thigh artery had been opened by a shard of glass, her lower stomach was bleeding from a shard of glass protruding from it, she could feel blood on either side of her head, and there was another shard of glass protruding between her side and abdomen to the left. She knew that she'd lost a lot of blood and was going to die soon. She wasn't a doctor, but when she was younger, back in her world in Bulgaria, her mother had been what the times after would call a doctor or nurse and she'd helped her mother, so she knew some things.

After what felt like ten minutes, everything began to go black for her.

I don't know where you're going

And I don't know why

But listen to your heart

Before you tell him goodbye

Half an hour later, he finally came across his car, which was nearly totaled. He didn't care right now, though. Right now, all that mattered was that Katherine was injured and still inside the car. He knew she was injured by the smell of blood.

He blurred to the driver's side and forced the jammed door open. He then scanned her injuries, before pulled the shards of glass out of her wounds and tossing them to the ground. He didn't realize until then that the artery in her thigh had been opened. He knew that wasn't good. Then he saw that she was very pale. He could tell that she needed a hospital very soon like.

He rested a gentle hand on the side of her face.

"Katherine," he called. "Katherine, can you hear me?" When he didn't get anything from her, he said, "If you can hear me, you're going to be okay. Just hang on."

He slid an arm under her legs and another under her shoulder blades, gently pulling her out of the wreck and into his arms. Then he blurred towards the hospital.

Half an hour later, he watched as she was rushed down the hall so they could save her life.

A few hours later, she came out of the surgery and was put in a recovery room.

Damon sat on her bedside, a hand on the side of her face, and waited for her to wake up. She'd be just fine, which relieved him.