As I Lay Dying (4th revised version)

Summary: Another revised version of the S2E22 finale. Takes place after Klaus knocked Damon out and left. What if Kat had trouble waking him up?

Katherine Pierce

I kneel down beside Damon Salvatore and force fed him some blood.

"Come on, Damon. Wake up," I say, pleading with him, wondering what's wrong.

I toss the empty blood bag onto the floor and look him over, remembering Klaus saying he's unclean. And that's when I see it. The werewolf bite.

"No," I say. "No. Damon."

I take his phone out and call my doppelganger.

"Elena, it's me. We have a problem. Did Damon tell you if he was bitten by a werewolf or not? He has a werewolf bite on his arm. And I can't get him up. Can you come over?" I say, before she can say anything.

"I didn't know. I'll be right over."

She hangs up and I put his phone back.

"Please wake up, Damon," I beg.

I gently slap his cheek to see if that'll work.

I wait.

Nothing.

I take his hand in mine.

I can't lose you, Damon. Please wake up, I think to him.

Elena soon arrives and kneels down on the left side of him. The opposite side I'm on.

"We need to get him home," I inform her.

She sees that my ring is off I guess, because she had to ask me, "Where's your ring?"

"I don't know. Klaus must've taken it. And we don't have time to waste. We'll have to manage. Even if I burn alive helping him. It's worth it. I owe him one and he's my family. Family is everything to me."

By the time we get him in bed, I'm burnt terribly. I lean against the wall by his bedroom door, back against the wall, my vision blurry, my focus going in and out, as I watch Elena standing at his bedside with a wet washcloth.

"We need Klaus' blood. That's the cure," I say as normal as I can.

She hears my wavering voice, because she puts the cloth on his forehead and turns around to look at me.

"Katherine," she says.

I can smell her fear scent and concern for me.

"Take care of Damon. He's more important," I tell her.

"No. You're both important. What's happening to you?"

"You really want to know the cold, hard truth? I got burnt too much. I'm dying."

"I won't let you die, Katherine. What can I do?"

"I don't know."

Alaric Saltzman walks in.

"How's Damon doing?"

"He needs the cure. Klaus' blood. And Katherine's dying, too. She got burnt helping me."

"I'll take care of Katherine. You do what you have to," Alaric says.

I feel myself slide down the wall, as weakness starts to come.