Sad Song

Summary: 2x1 "The Return," 2x16 "House Guest," 2x22 "As I Lay Dying," and a flashback from 1864 that was shown in the episode "As I Lay Dying."

*As I Lay Dying*

You and I

We're like fireworks and symphonies

Exploding in the sky

With you

I'm alive

Like all the missing pieces of my heart

They finally collide

So stop time right here in the moonlight

'Cause I don't ever wanna close my eyes

Without you

I feel broke

Like I'm half of a whole

Without you

I've got no hand to hold

Without you

I feel torn

Like a sail in a storm

Without you

I'm just a sad song

I'm just a sad song

It was a dismal night, as Damon lay in bed, dying from a werewolf bite. He'd been an idiot and had listened to Caroline whom hadn't wanted to leave him. He'd listened to her, because he hadn't wanted Caroline to become a sacrifice in Klaus' ritual. Now he was paying for the mistake of listening to her.

When he was close to death, Katherine walked in with the cure. It was Klaus' blood. Klaus had just showed tonight that his blood was the cure for a werewolf bite. Now she had a vial of his blood in hand, as she entered Damon's room, assuming that's where he'd be. She was right, because she saw how close he was to dying. It broke her heart, since the only reason that she'd told him that she never loved him was to protect him from Klaus. She hadn't wanted Klaus to kill him just for loving her.

She walked over and opened the vial. Then she put it to his lips, making it go down his throat to save him. Then she set it on the end table, when she'd given him enough. Then she rested a hand on the side of his face, looking down at him.

When he looked at her, she was relieved.

"You came back," he said.

"I owed you one," she replied, knowing that he'd never believe that she loved him. He always thought that she lied about everything.

He looked at her silently, trying to decipher what she meant by that.

She silently left the room.

*House Guest*

With you, I fall

It's like I'm leaving all my past and silhouettes up on the wall

With you, I'm a beautiful mess

It's like we're standing hand in hand with all our fears up on the edge

So stop time right here in the moonlight