Love Will Remember

Summary: Set in S8. Katherine helps take down Cade and after Damon saves her from Cade and Sybil, he realizes that he still cares about her. What will ensue?

A/N: I got this idea after reading "Eternal Love" on Fanfiction.net

It was a dismal night, as Katherine walked through Mystic Falls, having just come back to life. Though she'd just come back to life, she knew all that had been going on. She'd taken a peak while she'd been tortured with memories in hell. She didn't like what Sybil had done, nor did she like the deal between Cade, Stefan, and Damon. She knew that they were planning on killing Cade, if they hadn't already killed him, but Sybil she knew would prove more difficult to handle. She didn't like Mystic Falls being ruined by Sybil and Cade though, or Damon being messed with by either of them. She was proud of Damon for holding on to his humanity for so long, though. That meant he wasn't gone. He could still be saved.

After not finding Damon at the boarding house or Grille, she figured out that they were going to kill Cade tonight. What better place to kill Cade than somewhere secluded with no one around but themselves to get hurt, just in case anything went wrong. She knew they were going to the falls, which she soon found. She found both of them getting their asses kicked by Cade, so she knew that she needed to intervene. She had to help kill him. She also noticed that Stefan was human again, since he wasn't healing. She didn't let herself dwell on anything else though.

Katherine approached the scene.

"Get away from him," she said in a threatening voice to Cade, daring him to harm Damon anymore. She cared for Stefan too, but not as much as she did for Damon.

Cade turned to face her.

"Katherine."

"Get him out of here," she told Damon, needing to know that they were both okay. She didn't take her eyes off Cade as she told Damon that.

"I was wondering why I couldn't find you," Cade said. "Now I know why. You've somehow managed to come back to life. As a human no less."

"Yes, well I'd rather be human than spend another day in hell. I'm not going back," she said, as she stood just inches in front of him.

After Damon had gotten Stefan home, he left to go back to finish it. If Katherine was there to do what he was going to do, she didn't stand much of a chance against Cade. He may hate her, but he didn't want her to die at the hands of Cade. Besides, she was human again. She deserved another chance if she was going to help them, instead of destroying everyone's lives. Not that she could really do much as a human, anyway.

When Damon came back, Cade was approaching Katherine whom was on the ground with an injured and heavily bleeding lower stomach. There was also blood on either side of her head, which Damon assumed could mean a possible concussion. He took the opportunity of distraction and stabbed the weapon into Cade, killing him, before he could do anymore harm to Katherine.

When Cade was dead, Damon blurred to her side. She was quite injured, but he didn't want to chance giving her blood, since she couldn't digest vampire blood last time she'd been human.

He rested a hand on the side of her face.

"Katherine, if you can hear me, open your eyes."

After a moment of waiting, he took his hand away and gently pulled her into his arms and got to his feet, blurring her to the hospital.

A few hours later, after surgery, he had her released and layed her down in his bed, figuring she'd be okay. All she'd gotten was a bleeding head and lower stomach wound. She was quite lucky after fighting against Cade.

He sat on her bedside with a shot glass of Bourbon, sipping it, waiting for her to awaken, the bottle on the end table.

When she woke up, she was surprised to see Damon there and saw that he'd taken her to the hospital but she was in his room.

"Thanks," she said.

"You're welcome," was all he could say. He didn't even want to ask how she was even alive or human.

The next day, they were both in the living room sipping a shot glass of Bourbon, sitting next to each other, when they got a visit from Sybil.

She entered the living room.

"I heard you were alive. I couldn't help but see it for myself," she greeted Katherine.

The doppelganger finished her shot glass of Bourbon and set the shot glass down, before getting to her feet.

"Now that you've seen it for yourself, why don't you go? I know what you've done to everyone, including Damon. That's something I don't appreciate. Just because you have the power to do something, doesn't mean you should put it to use."

She slowly began to approach the siren.

"Well, what's the use of having any kind of power if you don't use it?" Sybil countered. Then she said to Damon, "Now I know why you're not her biggest fan. Why don't you come with me and have some fun?"

Damon got to his feet after finishing his shot glass of Bourbon.

"Now why would I do that? You're not much fun yourself."

Before she knew it, Katherine was being held with Sybil's hand around her throat, Sybil behind her.

"Maybe if I break those ties you have with your friends and whoever Katherine is to you, maybe you'll finally become the faithful servant I need," Sybil replied to him.

Damon became cautious now. He didn't want Katherine killed by Sybil. He didn't save her from Cade, just to be killed by Sybil.

"Let her go, Sybil," he warned.

"Why should I?" Sybil countered him.

"Because killing her won't solve anything or make me be your loyal servant," he told her.

Sybil let her go and through her against a wall. She then approached him.

"Now what can I do that will ensure that you'll cooperate?" she inquired of him.

"Nothing," he replied, before using the weapon to kill her, hoping it would keep her dead forever. Then he blurred over to Katherine, where she lay on the floor, but was about to get up.

He helped her to her feet.

"You okay?"

"I'll be fine," she assured him.

"You sure?"

"I promise," she said.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't know what I'd do if you never survived. There is something we can do though," he said.

"And what's that?" she questioned with a smile, knowing what he was thinking.

"This." A moment later, they were kissing.