American Gothic (2nd revised version)

Summary: Set in S4E "American Gothic." Kat gets hurt. Will she be saved?

It was a beautiful day in New York, as humanityless Elena Gilbert searched for Katherine Pierce. Everyone wanted the cure and Katherine had it. Why she had it, no one but Katherine knew.

It was late afternoon, as Katherine Pierce tried to get to where she was now staying at. Her apartment. She was worn out, though. She had gotten herself attacked. Shot. She didn't know what was wrong with her. She only knew that she wasn't healing, and she was weak. She didn't want to be seen like this, so she wanted to try and get inside her apartment.

Suddenly, she felt weaker and then felt the ground. She then sat against a vehicle, as her vision started to fade away.

When Elena smelled her scent, she followed it. It was an almost faint scent, though.

When she saw her up against a white Minivan, she started forward, unsure whether she was playing one of her games or not. Her head was down, but she could still see that her eyes were closed. She could smell blood, too.

Suddenly, Damon Salvatore was at her side and grabbed her arm.

"Elena, go. Find Rebekah. We're leaving."

He watched her vanish, before rushing to Kat's side at vamp speed.

He knelt in front of her.

"Katherine?" he called.

She groaned.

He scanned her with his eyes and saw that she was hurt. Her wounds were bleeding and she wasn't healing. He knew from the sire bond that she was dying.

He gently pulled her into his arms and got to his feet with her.

"You'll be okay, Katherine," he promised. "Just stay with me."

At vamp speed, he was by his car he had parked not far away. He then opened the passenger's door, before gently setting her in the passenger's seat and then closing the door and going around to the other side to get in the driver's seat.

Once inside, he looked over at his sire.

"Hang in there, Kat," he said, using his old nickname for her.

A moment later, Elena and Rebekah got in the backseat and closed their doors.

"Why are we saving Katherine?" Rebekah asked, as Damon drove as fast as he could back to Mystic Falls.

"One—she's the only one that known where the cure is. Two—we need her for more than one reason."

"You make it sound like she's older and know more than I do."

"Technically, she knows more than you," he answered Rebekah.

Elena was silent.

There was another reason Damon was saving her, but he wasn't going to tell either of the vampiresses. He knew they wouldn't like it. The last reason he was saving her was because he still cared about her. He didn't want to watch his sire die.

Once at home, Elena followed Damon inside the boarding house. She then stopped in the living room and watched him lay Katherine gently down on the couch.

When Katherine awoke, she was in the living room on the couch, Damon by the couch, Elena standing by the fireplace.

"Katherine," he greeted.

"Damon," she greeted back.

They smiled at one another.

She sat up, feeling like herself again.

"Thanks," she said to him.

"You're welcome," he replied.

He helped her to her feet.

Katherine and Damon looked at one another.