The Silence

Summary: Set in S5E1 "I Know What You Did Last Summer." After Damon realizes something's wrong, he looks for her and finds her injured. His car is totaled and she's fighting for her life. This makes him realize that he still cares and he takes her to the hospital. Will she live?

You lift me up

And knock me down

I'm never sure just what to feel when you're around

I speak my heart

But don't know why

Cause you don't never really say what's on your mind

It was a nebulous night at the Salvatore boarding house, as human Katherine set the empty shot glass down on Damon's drinking table.

"You're miserable," Damon stated.

"Please. I'm Katherine Pierce. I'm a survivor."

"You're a liar. Your hair's messed up, your nails are chipped. You're a sad and miserable human being and you want me to turn you. So, here." He bit his wrist and offered it to her.

She gripped his arm, but hesitated.

"Go ahead, drink up. I'll kill you, you'll bit the mailman, you'll be a vampire again. Go ahead, come on," he encouraged.

She let go and looked at him.

"I can't, okay? No one's ever taken the cure before. If I die, there's a good chance I may never wake up."

"And that would be tragic," he commented, not caring.

"And deep down, in that mushy-gushy Elena-loving heart, there's a part of you that doesn't want me to die," she said, standing in front of him, a hand on his chest. Then she stepped back. "I have enemies everywhere. What happens when word gets out that I'm a human? I can't protect myself. I'm weak and I'm slow. Do you have any idea what it's like to run in heels? I have blisters, Damon. Please, just...help me," she pleaded with him.

He looked at her in silence, debating on what to do. She was right, because they would always have a connection. He hated that and her, but he couldn't deny it.

"Fine. I'll protect you," he stated, not sure if it was a promise or not.

It's like

I'm walking on broken glass

I wanna know but I don't wanna ask

So say you love me

Or say you need me

Don't let the silence

Do the talking

Just say you want me

Or you don't need me

Don't let the silence

Do the talking

She silently watched, as he walked out of the living room. She knew why, too. She'd broken his heart so many times that he hated her. He hated what she'd done when she'd been a vampire. Now that she had humanity, she found herself wanting to apologize and to tell the truth to him, instead of lying to him. She knew that he wouldn't believe her, though.