I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime

Summary: Set in 6x21 "I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime." What if Elena had died in S5, instead of Kat? What if it was Damon and Kat who were at Jo and Ric's wedding? What if Damon and Kat fell back in love?

It was a dark night in Mystic Falls, as Katherine Pierce and Damon Salvatore stood at the altar at Jo and Ric's wedding. After Elena had died human a year ago, he and Katherine had decided to give their relationship a second chance. Now they were completely in love again and Katherine had taken the cure they had found in the 1903 prison world. After the wedding, Damon was going to take the rest of the cure so he could be human with her. He wanted to die alongside her, instead of still being in existence after she died.
Suddenly, right before Jo could finish her vows to Ric, she was stabbed and Kai, her brother, appeared on the altar not far from where Katherine was standing. It was a surprise, because they had left him in the 1903 prison world. How he had escaped, they didn't know and probably never would know.
Jo fell from being stabbed and Ric was now on the floor with her head in his lap.
"Miss me?" He said, before throwing magic at everyone. Then Kai walked away.
As the building shook from the magic and wood and debris fell from it, Damon scanned the floor for Katherine, where he was at on the floor.
A moment later, he spotted her on the floor on her back, out cold, in the middle of the chaos. And as he crawled over to her to check on her, all he could do was hope for her to be alive.
"Katherine," he said, once he had reached her.
He looked down at her, assessing her condition, as he used vamp hearing to listen for a heartbeat. She lay in the middle of the chaos, injured. She was bleeding from her side where a piece of wood had pierced her skin, but she was quite alive; just out cold.
He took the piece of wood out of her side, tossing it to the floor, and pulled her gently into his arms. He then bit his wrist and put it to her lips, making his blood go down her throat, which soon healed her and gently carried her back home in his arms, leaving the others for the time being. Right now, to him, Katherine was more important than everyone else in the room who had been with him and Katherine.

Once in his room, he gently layed her down on his bed, before sitting on her bedside to wait for her to awaken. He held her left hand in his and with his free one, gently brushed hair out of her face. He then trailed fingers gently down her face, as he waited for her to come to. He hoped it would be soon. He didn't want anything to happen to her. She was his light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel that he had only recently began to make his way out of. He didn't know what he'd do without her in his life. She was his life and he was hers. They were the product of true love. They always found their way back to each other and they had forever to make up for lost time and wrongs they had done to one another. They were compatible and alike in so many ways, it was like they were met for each other. In the end, they had finally found their happy ending after 145 years of having to wait. It was worth it though, because he finally had gotten the girl. He learned that all he had had to do was to be patient and to learn that as a human, Katherine was much different. Being a vampire had just changed her into someone and something that no one had thought she would become. But her life had made her a monster and deceiver. If it wasn't for her having to run for 500 years from an Original hybrid plus other enemies that she had made over the centuries, she never would've become someone others hated, despised, feared, wanted dead, and didn't trust nor ever wanted to meet or know.
An hour later, she finally started to come to, which relieved him, knowing that she would be okay, after all.