Here Comes Goodbye

Summary: Set in 2x22, 5x1, and 6x22. Just a Datherine tribute. He goes from hating her to back in love with her, and she never stopped loving him. Based on "Here Comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flatts.

*As I Lay Dying*

I can hear the truck tires coming up the gravel road

And it's not like her to drive that slow, nothing's on the radio

Footsteps on the front porch, I hear my doorbell

She usually comes right in, now I can tell

Here comes goodbye

Here comes the last time

Here comes the start of every sleepless night

The first of every tear I'm gonna cry

Here comes the pain

It was a dismal night, as Damon lay in bed, dying from a werewolf bite. He'd been bitten the night before, so he was quite close to joining the Other Side. He knew he was close to dying, when everything went black and his senses began to leave him.

Kat walked into his room, a vial in her hand, which held the cure. Klaus' blood. And when she entered, her unbeating heart broke, seeing that he was just moments from joining the Other Side. Although she told him that she never loved him, she'd lied. He'd always been the one, but she'd done it to protect him from Klaus the only way she knew how. She was afraid he'd get killed if Klaus knew they loved each other. He'd taken so much from her. She couldn't lose Damon, too.

She walked over to his bedside and opened the vial. Then she forced the cure down his throat and, once finished, she set the vial on his end table and rested a hand on the side of his face.

He looked at her, which secretly relieved her.

"You came back," he stated.

"I owed you one," she replied, knowing he wouldn't believe her if she told him her true feelings. She then patted the side of his face her hand rested on, before leaving, happy he'd live to see another day.

*I'll Wed You In The Golden Summertime*

Here comes me wishing things had never changed

And she was right here in my arms tonight, but here comes goodbye

I can hear her say I love you like it was yesterday

And I can see it written on her face that she had never felt this way

One day I thought I'd see her with her daddy by her side

And violins would play here comes the bride

Here comes goodbye

Here comes the last time

Here comes the start of every sleepless night

The first of every tear I'm gonna cry

Here comes the pain

It was a dismal night, as Damon knelt by an injured Kat. He could care less about everyone else in this chaos of the interrupted wedding. He just cared about human Kat.

"Stay with me, Katherine," he pleaded. He then pulled the piece of glass out of her lower stomach.

As everything began to go black for her, she felt the glass come out and something be tied around her wound. Then she felt him pick her up and felt the wind, letting her know he was getting her to the hospital.

Later, after the surgery, she lived and was able to go home to the boarding house.

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*

Here comes me wishing things had never changed

And she was right here in my arms tonight, but here comes goodbye

Why does it have to go from good to gone?

Before the lights turn on, yeah and you're left alone

All alone, but here comes goodbye

Oh-oooh

Here comes goodbye

Here comes the last time

Here comes the start of every sleepless night

The first of every tear I'm gonna cry

Here comes the pain

Here comes me whishing things had never changed

And she was right here in my arms tonight, but here comes goodbye

Oh-oooh

It was a dismal night, as Damon searched for human Katherine. If anything happened to her because Silas had gotten in his head, making him try and hand her over to him, he didn't know what he'd do. She'd been right when she'd asked him to protect her. A part of him didn't want her to die.

An hour later, he found his car, which had crashed into a streetlight pole with a lot of force.

He blurred to his car and saw her gone, but could see and smell blood. That's when he knew she was very injured. He just hoped she'd stay alive long enough for him to find her and get her to a hospital. He wouldn't chance feeding her blood. No one had ever taken the cure before. They didn't know if there were any side effects.

After searching in the woods for her for half an hour, he found her seated on the ground, her back against a tree.

He blurred over and knelt by her. He then assessed her wounds. There was blood on either side of her head, some minor injuries, an opened thigh artery, and her lower stomach was heavily bleeding. He also saw that she was very pale from all the blood loss. He then used his super hearing to listen. That's when he knew she was on the verge of dying. He could hear her shallow breathing and slow heartbeat.

He took his jacket off and put it around her, hoping it would help warm her at least a little.

"If you can hear me, stay with me," he said, as he gently picked her up. He then blurred to the hospital.

After surgery, she survived, so he took her home. Then, after she forgave him and they fixed things between each other, a month later, they fell back into love.