Broken

Summary: Set in S5 "Dead Man On Campus" to "500 Years of Solitude," but revised to be a one-shot Damon and Katherine song fic, based on Lifehouse's song "Broken."

The broken clock is a comfort
It helps me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time...

It was a dark night as Katherine Pierce stood on the clock tower, ready to end it all, not wanting the pain of dying of old age. Nadia would be okay without her and everyone else in Mystic Falls hated, despised, and wanted her dead.
She stepped off the ledge backwards, eyes closed, and felt the wind as she fell towards the sidewalk.

I am here still waiting though I still have my doubts
I am damaged at best
Like you've already figured out
I'm falling apart...

Before she could hit the ground, she felt as if someone had caught her, saving her. Thinking Elijah had come back for her, she opened her eyes, only to see her elder childe, Damon Salvatore.
She looked up at him.
"Damon?" she questioned, wondering why he of all people would save her.
He set her on her feet and looked at her.
"What are you thinking? Killing yourself instead of surviving? The Katherine I know wouldn't be killing herself, so what made you change your mind after 500 years of survival?" he asked her.
"I'm dying of old age and it can't be stopped, so why try? I'd rather kill myself than to die of old age. Why did you save me? You'd rather see me dead," she replied.
"I figured I'd save your from your own stupidity. As for you dying; whoever told you that it can't be stopped was wrong. You'll figure a way out. You always do."
"Thank you," she said to him.

A month later, just as she was heading down the stairs at the boarding house, she felt pain start up her arm and travel to the left side of her chest. She put a hand on her chest as the pain came. She didn't know what was happening, but figured that this was it.

I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain
There is healing
In your name I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on
I'm holdin' on
I'm barely holdin' on to you...

An hour later, Damon entered the hospital, heading down the hallway in search of Katherine, which was where Dr. Meredith Fell met up with him.
"Where is she?" he questioned, still walking with Meredith doing her best to keep up with his pace.
"She's in room 150, but she had a heart attack. Damon, she may not make it through the night. Every organ in her body is failing," she answered him.
He left her standing there and soon entered Katherine's room, closing the door behind himself, where she lay in critical condition with machines hooked up to her, keeping her alive as long as possible.

The broken locks were a warning you got inside my head
I tried my best to be guarded
I'm an open book instead
I still see your reflection inside of my eyes
That are looking for a purpose
They're still looking for life
I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain (In the pain)
Is there healing
In your name (In your name) I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin' on)
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin' on)
I'm barely holdin' on to you
I'm hangin' on another day...

As Damon stood at her hospital bedside, looking down at her, he realized that he didn't just care about if she lived or died; he loved her. The brave, fierce, independent girl he had always loved and hated was barely holding on; fighting for her life.

Just to see what you throw away
And I'm hanging on to the words you say
You said that I will be OK
The broken lights on the freeway left me here alone
I may have lost my way now
Haven't forgotten my way home
I'm falling apart
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain (In the pain) there is healing
In your name I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin')
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin')
I'm barely holdin' on to you
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin')
I'm barely holdin' on to you...

After she was no longer in critical condition and was sent home, she was put on bed rest until she healed the human way. Damon took care of her and they fell back into love and got back together.