Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give Or Take

Summary: Set in S7E1 "Day One of Twenty-Two Thousand, Give or Take." What if Katherine was found alive again? What will Damon do? How will he react? Will he kill her, or will he keep her alive? What if she shows him the part of her that he has never seen? What will ensue? Will their epic love story begin again, like it should have in S1E_ "The Return"?

It was a dark night, as Damon walked through the Mystic Falls streets alone, drowning his sorrows with a bottle of Bourbon.

Suddenly, he stopped, seeing a very familiar someone. Seeing her darkened his mood even more and he gave a low growl, before pinning her against a wall of the clock tower.

"What the Hell are you doing here and alive?" he growled in rage.

Katherine had no right to be here, when Elena couldn't be. Even if it wasn't her fault that she wasn't here.

Katherine gasped from the tight hold he had around her throat.

"I'm not here to cause trouble if that's what you think," she said around his hold. As she did, she realized that something had happened while she had been dead. Apparently, just seeing her alive enraged him, which she knew had to mean that something had happened to Elena.

"Damon, please," she added, as she tried to breathe around his hold.

He kept the strong hold around her throat, thinking of whether or not he should kill her or just leave her be. It wasn't exactly her fault that Kai had put a sleeping spell on Elena. She had been long dead by the time Kai had come from the 1994 prison world. Now Kai was dead as of six months ago and Katherine was somehow back. As he looked closely though, he saw that she was quite injured, even though she was trying not to show it. He also saw that she must've lost a massive amount of blood, because of how pale she looked and because she looked like hell.
He let go of her, deciding not to kill her. Yet, anyway.

She coughed, a hand to her throat, the breath coming back to her.

"What happened to you?" he questioned, when she had gotten her breath back.

"You really want to know, or are you just trying to strike up a conversation?" she inquired.

"I really want to know. Despite your attempt to hide how not okay you are, I can tell that you're not okay."

She sighed, not liking how alike they were somedays.

"Kai," she answered him.

He gave a low growl at his name, which let her know that he knew him.

As she stood there, waiting for what he would do, she was suddenly sucked straight into nothing but darkness.

With vamp agility, before she could hit the ground, he caught her and then gently layed her down on her back on the sidewalk, knelt beside her. He then looked down at her and rested gentle hands on either side of her face.

"Katherine? Katherine," he called to her, hoping she could hear him. "Come on. Wake up. Open your eyes."

As he looked down at her, not getting a response from her, he used vamp hearing to listen for a heartbeat and breathing. As he did, he saw how even more pale she was; An unnatural color for a human.

No. Don't you dare. Not you, too, he thought, not hearing a heartbeat and suddenly hearing her slow, shallow breathing stop all together.
He bent down and kissed her, giving her some air, trying to bring her back.

"I'm not losing you, too. Come back, Kat," he said, as he tried to revive her, memories surfacing for him. He kissed her again. "Breathe, Kat. I lost Elena. I'm not losing you, too. Breathe and open your eyes."

After about twenty minutes, he heard breathing and a heartbeat.

He sighed in relief.

"If you can hear me, open your eyes, Katherine. I need you to wake up for me."

After a moment of nothing, he gently pulled her into his arms, crook of arm supporting her head. He bit his wrist, putting it to her lips, making his blood go down her throat to heal her, hoping she could digest it. The last time she had been human, she hadn't been able to digest vampire blood.

After a moment, he took it away and it instantly healed. He then looked down at her, waiting to see if she would heal or not.

"Come on, Katherine; Stay with me," he pleaded. He had lost her and many others in his lifetime one way or anther. He didn't know how much more hurt he could take. "Please, Kat. Just open your eyes for me."

After a few more minutes of no response, he got to his feet with her in his arms and began to head for the Mystic Falls hospital. He didn't know what was wrong, but assumed that he had to get her to the hospital to restore the blood she had lost. He also needed some of the first-air from the hospital to care for her wounds.

Once in a room at the hospital, blinds and door closed, he gently layed her down on the hospital bed. He then grabbed a couple of blood bags and what he needed for her wounds. He then hooked up the blood to her to restore the blood she had lost, before taking care of her wounds Kai had given her.

Soon after, her wounds were taken care of and the blood transfusion finished, so he gently picked her up in his arms and headed home.

An hour later, when she came to, he knew with relief, that she'd be okay.