The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get

Summary: Set in 6x6. Bonnie didn't die with Damon. Damon's alone in the prison world until Katherine saves him from Kai. Katherine gets hurt saving him from Kai. Will Damon care enough to save her life? Will she live?

It was a beautiful day, as Katherine stood behind a tree, watching the scene unfold. Damon was confronting Kai about getting the hell out of there. She would help if need be. He was her childe. She had sired him in 1864. Besides, she was once in love with him, and she would do anything for him. And to this day, she still loved him with all of her heart. No one was allowed to hurt or mess with him except her.
When Kai and Damon were fighting and her childe was losing, it angered her, and she felt the need to protect him. Without thinking, she appeared and through Kai off.
Damon looked from where he was, to see that Katherine was whom had thrown Kai off him. And from the scent, she was human. It surprised him that she was trying to stop Kai. She was only human and Katherine. She didn't care about him, so why help him? Had dying changed her? Had being human given her humanity again?
Katherine stood in front of Kai, looking fearless and determined. She always looked fearless when facing danger and the enemy, but deep inside, she always had doubts and fear about the oncoming fight, never knowing if she would survive the fight. That's what she felt about now, but she wouldn't let Kai sense it. Right now, the only weapon she had was the Traveler knife; specifically, created to destroy Travelers. She knew he wasn't a Traveler, but it was worth a shot. And If she was going to die, she was going to die fighting to save Damon.
"If it isn't the famous Katherine Pierce, come to your childe's rescue," Kai greeted her.
"Kai," she greeted back. "You're quite famous yourself for killing your siblings. That's why you're here. And all you ever wanted and still want is magic. You hate that you weren't born with magic, unlike your family. I've got news for you. Vengeance dies hard and you belong here. You deserve to rot in here for what you've done."
She gave a smile.
His mood became dark and he lunged for her. And as he did, she pulled out the Traveler knife to stab him, but he grabbed a hold of her wrist.
She tried to fight against him, and they ended up with her up against a tree, her back touching the bark of the tree.
He was stronger than her, which surprised her, considering they were both technically human.
She continued to fight against him, trying to get the knife in him, but he maneuvered the knife, hand still around her wrist, and it stabbed her in the side.
He pinned her to the tree, applying pressure to her throat with an arm.
She gasped, trying to breathe.
"Looks like you're next on my list," he said.
Everything went dim and gray for her.
Damon through him off his pain in the ass sire and snapped his neck. He then rushed to her side where she lay on her back, side heavily bleeding with the knife still in it, eyes closed, pale from blood loss.
"Katherine," he said.
He immediately took the knife out, knowing what It did to her, considering she was descended from Travelers.
He bit his wrist and put it to her lips, making his blood go down her throat to save her life, as her breathing slowed, hoping it would work. In the living world, she hadn't been able to digest vampire blood.
Soon, her wounds were healed, so he took his wrist away, which instantly healed.
He rested gentle hands on either side of her head and sighed in relief, figuring that she would live to see another day.
A moment later, still out cold, she began to cough up the blood he had given her.
He looked down at her, not knowing what to do. All he knew to do was hope for her to wake up and be okay. His mission to get the hell out of dodge had now changed course. He had to help Katherine now, before he could leave.
He put the Traveler knife inside his jacket, and then gently pulled her into his arms, getting to his feet and heading for the boarding house.

Once in the living room, he gently layed her down on his couch.
As he sat in his chair, shot glass of Bourbon in hand, watching her insensible form, he wondered how she had come here. Why was she here? Why was she human, when she had died in Elena's body? What would happen when she woke up? If she died, would she go into transition and become a vampire again? If so, would he have to teach her control, or would she be able to deal with it all on her own? Would she live to see another day? Did she care about him, even though she hadn't shown it since 1864? Did she love him? Would they ever learn to get along?

She didn't know how long she had been out, but when she came to, she was on Damon's couch, him watching her from his recliner.
"You're awake," he greeted.
He went to sit on her bedside on the couch.
She slowly sat up and looked at him.
He looked at her, as he rested gentle hands on either side of her head.
"How are you feeling?"
"Like I just got stabbed and nearly killed," she answered.
"You were pretty close. I healed you, but you're body rejected my blood."
"Great," she said sarcastically. She didn't feel like dying of old age all over again.
"Don't worry. We'll find a way to stop it."
"There is no way. If there was, don't you think I would've found one the first time around? The only solution is to put me in another body. Why do you think I jumped into Elena's? I wanted to live just a little longer. Then Nadia died, and my life didn't mean anything anymore."
"Let's go one step at a time. Okay? First, let's get you back to health. Then we can get out of here and stop this from happening to you again."
"I need blood to restore what I lost first. Then I should be okay. Right now, I'm just tired," she replied.
"Get some sleep," he told her, before kissing her on the forehead, and taking his hands away from her head.

Soon, she was back to health and they were alive again. They even found a way through a powerful witch, how to stop time from catching up with her. So, she was saved, and Damon and Katherine got back together.