Home At Last (Damon's POV)

Summary: What if Damon died before Bonnie, and never met up with her? What if Damon and Kat met up in the prison world? Damon finds a human, hurt Kat. Will she be okay? Will they get out and back home?

It's a dark night, as I walk around what looks like Mystic Falls, but it has abandoned cars with broken and shattered windows in the streets. I didn't disintegrate, so I must be somewhere on the Other Side. There must be a place on the Other Side that hasn't disintegrated. After all, I'm dead. I died willingly to destroy the Travelers, and tried to pass through Bonnie to be brought back to life like my friends, but someone stopped the spell before I could pass through. I know Bonnie died too, but I was put here before she died. Wherever the hell here is.
I stop not far from an old abandoned car, seeing someone lying by it. I'd know her anywhere. She looks exactly like Elena, apart from her hair style and clothes. She's my sire, my ex-girlfriend, and a pain in the ass.
At vamp speed, I'm instantly knelt at her side, looking down at her. She looks like crap. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that she was tortured and then left behind. By the smell, she's very much human. There's blood on either side of her head, her sides and leg are bleeding, and there's cuts and scrapes on her. She's pale and losing a lot of blood, too.
"Katherine?" I call to her, hoping to wake her up.
I listen to her heart and breathing with super hearing, as I debate on what to do. I don't know if vampire blood will help her. When she was dying and human, her body had rejected vampire blood. I don't know if my blood will help, since I'm a vampire and she's not. It's worth a shot, though. Right?
Finally, I make up my mind.
I gently pull her into my arms and bite my wrist, putting it to her lips, making my blood go down her throat.
A few minutes later, I take it away and it instantly heals. I then watch her wounds heal.
I get to my feet with her in my arms, and head for the boarding house. After I broke my promise to protect her, and tormented her on her deathbed, I owe her this much. Besides, she did cure me from a werewolf bite a few years ago. I just shrugged it off as a good deed, because I've hated her since the night she told me that she "never loved" me. "It was always Stefan."

Once in my living room, I gently lay her down on the couch and sit by her on the couch.

A few hours later, she comes to.
"How long have you been here?" she asks me.
"Since a few hours ago. What the hell happened to you?"
"Kai stole some of what little magic I had from when I body jumped. I have a little left, but Kai wants out of here and he can steal the rest with just a touch. His father put him here as punishment for killing all but three siblings. It's his prison, but since magic brought us here, magic can get us out of here. I need you to trust me if we do this, though. Do you trust me?" she replies.
"I'll try," I answer.
"Good. We have to work together to get out of here, before he finds a way out of here," she replies.
"How do we get out of here exactly?"
"We put the ascendant together and find a cave, where the eclipse will shine the brightest. The ascendant will take us home."
"How long have you been here?"
"Ever since you guys killed me, I guess. I can't tell time here. Everyday is the same date as the day before."
"Let's get out of here then," I reply.
"I need to get my strength back and tap into my Traveler lineage first. I'll have to practice on some candles. I have to be at full strength, or we can't go. It won't recognize my magic," she explains.
"Let's do it then," I reply, eager to go back home with or without Katherine.

A few days later, we're in a cave, the eclipse at its full peak, me at her side, her holding the ascendant.
She drips her blood and I drip my blood in the middle of it and it clicks together, now ready to take us home.
Kai walks in with a crossbow, and fires at us with an arrow.
A moment later, we disappear and find ourselves back home.
I pull the arrow out of my side and drop it.
We look at each other after she lets the ascendant drop to the ground.
We smile.
"We did it," she comments.
"Yes. We did," I agree.
"I guess this is a goodbye," she replies. "We'll see each other again, but I'm leaving. I'm going to New Orleans to win Elijah back. I've always loved both of you, but Elijah has always been there for me. He never once tried to kill me or second guess my intentions."
"Good luck," I reply.
I watch as she walks away, knowing she's right. Besides, she deserves someone like Elijah. She doesn't deserve me. I've tried to kill her and even broke my promise. Elijah would never do either to her. They were met for each other, whether he takes her back or not.
I walk towards the Salvatore boarding house and inside, closing the door behind myself.