You Raise Me Up

Summary: Set in 5x1. After he finds the aftermath of the crash after she accidentally crashed the car into the pole, trying to run when he tried handing her over to Silas, will she live? Will Damon get her to the hospital in enough time to save her life, or will he never get to make things right after what he tried to do? If she survives, will she hate him, or will she forgive him? Beneath all that hatred, does Damon care about her?

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary

When troubles come and my heart burdened be

And I am still and wait here in the silence

Until you come, and sit awhile with me

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains

You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas

I am strong, when I am on your shoulders

You raise me up, to more than I can be

It was a dismal night, as she sat in the car, quite injured. She'd tried to run when Damon had tried handing her over to Silas. She didn't know why. All she'd known was that she didn't want to be handed over on a silver platter. So she'd ran and by doing so, she'd injured herself by accidentally crashing the car into a streetlight pole with tremendous force. She didn't want to die though, so she just hoped that he'd change his mind in handing her over and instead, save her life. She hated to admit it, but she needed saving.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains

You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas

I am strong, when I am on your shoulders

You raise me up, to more than I can be

After not being able to reach her and after Silas had left, both realizing that something had happened, Damon left to go find out where she was. He figured that she either was ignoring him and had ran, or she was in danger or possibly dying or dead. Those last two thoughts though, he didn't want to happen to her. He couldn't deny that there was still a connection between them, but he also had to protect her. He'd just broken his word to protect her. He needed to do better at protecting her than he had just half an hour ago.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains

You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas

I am strong, when I am on your shoulders

You raise me up, to more than I can be

After half an hour, he finally found his car. When he began to approach, he knew that she was still inside his nearly totaled car and she was injured, since he could smell a lot of blood. He hoped that it wasn't as bad or worse than he thought it might be. If anything happened to her because he tried handing her over to Silas after Silas had gotten into his head, it would be his fault; not hers. She was just trying to keep from getting killed by Silas. He was the one at fault, since he'd started this when he'd tried handing her over on a silver platter.

Please, be alive.

He blurred to the driver's side of the car, where she sat, injured. He then forced the jammed door open and assessed her injuries and condition. She was quite pale and there was a lot of blood. There was also blood on either side of her head and a shard of glass protruding from the artery in her thigh and another one from her lower stomach. There was blood on either side of her head too and both of her sides were injured. He knew she'd lost a massive amount of blood and most of her injuries, along with the loss of blood, could kill her if he didn't get her to the hospital in time. He took the shards of glass out and slid an arm under her legs and another under her, pulling her gently into his arms and out of the wreck. Then he blurred her to the hospital, hoping that she'd be okay.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains

You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas

I am strong, when I am on your shoulders

You raise me up, to more than I can be

You raise me up

To more than I

Can be...

Damon watched, as they rushed her down the hall to save her life. He'd just gotten her to the hospital a few minutes ago. When he had, she'd been barely alive. He didn't know if she would make it or not, but he knew he had to have some hope that she'd live to see another day. She may be human and half alive and half dead, but she was still Katherine. She always survived whatever came her way. She had to survive this. Even if she never forgave him and hated him for the rest of her human life, he'd just be happy enough that she was alive. He hated her, yes, but the person that had done all those horrible things, he'd come to realize wasn't the Katherine he was beginning to see now that she was human. She was different as a human. She was somewhat the Katherine he knew, but mostly she was someone else that he'd never seen before. The Katherine he'd known and loved that had done those horrible things wasn't the Katherine he saw before him now that she was human. She was now a human with some compassion and some caring qualities and she had yet to betray or harm anyone. She was almost like a different Katherine mixed with some of the Katherine he knew, but also with a hint of the Katherine that he'd never gotten to meet. The person she'd been before she'd come to be known as Katherine.

Don't leave me, Katherine. You need to survive this.

During the surgery, they'd had to revive her at least a couple times, but she'd survived the surgery. It was just a matter of whether she'd fully recover or not. She was fighting for her life, but there had to come a time when she'd get tired of constantly having to do that. She'd been doing that for 500 years, and now this.

After being told of her condition and their thoughts of whether she'd survive this or not, he entered her hospital room and, once he'd closed the door, he sat on her bedside. She didn't look too good, but he assumed it came with her state. Because she was Katherine, they all knew she wouldn't want to stay here long enough to heal properly, so they'd put her in a coma so she could heal the way she needed to. He wished he could just take her home with him, but he knew it wouldn't be good for her if he did that.

He rested a hand on the side of her face and held her hand. He wasn't good with one-way conversations, much less good-byes, but there wasn't much he could do. All he could do was let her know that no matter what she thought, or what she was going through, she wasn't alone. He was right there and he wasn't going to leave. He couldn't leave her in this state; Especially, when Silas was still out there somewhere and he wanted Katherine pretty badly. He didn't know why Silas wanted her, but she'd be helpless if Silas showed up and she didn't have any protection. He couldn't let Silas get a hold of her.

"Katherine, I don't know if you can hear me or not, but I'm right here. I'm sorry for what I tried to do. I shouldn't have done that, but it was for a good reason. I'm not leaving and this time, I promise that I'll protect you. Just do me a favor and heal as quickly as you can so we can get the hell out of here. You're Katherine. You're not allowed to die. You're not going to die on my watch. You hear me? No matter how much you want to give up, just don't. I'm not going to let you die," he told her.

A few weeks later, she completely healed and so, she survived and he took her home and she forgave him for what he tried to do.