Former Vampiress Saver

Summary: Set in S5. When she gets attacked by a vampire, will Damon save her? If so, will she be okay? What will happen?

It was a dismal night, as a human Kat walked through the streets. She'd been on her own since Elena had shoved the cure down her throat after Elijah had left. It was just ending summer now, so she knew she had to do something. She had many enemies that would enjoy taking advantage of her. She needed protection. She wasn't ready to face Elijah, though. She wasn't great at being human, either. She was somewhat hurt, hungry, and her hair hadn't seen a brush all summer.

Suddenly, she was pinned against an alley wall by a vampire. She was weak though, so she couldn't fight like she wanted to. Being human sucked for her sometimes. Then, a moment later, she felt fangs in the side of her neck.

Damon was walking through town, heading home from the Mystic Grille, but then he smelled the familiar scents of Katherine and blood. Knowing she was human again, he followed the scents in a blur. No one got to hurt her but him. And even he wouldn't use the disadvantage she had as a human to get his way with her. After all, a part of him would always be that gentleman Katherine had fallen for in 1864.

As soon as Damon saw the scene, he wasn't exactly certain why, but seeing a vampire feeding on his now human sire angered him. Since he knew he had to save her, he approached.

"You've had enough. Let her go," he demanded, hoping he wouldn't have to kill any vampires tonight. This town had been peaceful for months. He was hoping he wouldn't have to go back to ripping out vampire hearts.

The vampire let her go, but turned to face him.

"What is it to you what I do?" he questioned Damon, not knowing who he was.

"That's my business. Get out of here before I change my mind," Damon said.

"I'd rather not."

A moment later, there was a fight between the two vampires, resulting in Damon ripping out his heart. Then, after dropping his heart and letting his body fall to the ground, he blurred towards where she lay on the ground.

He knelt by her on the ground and took his jacket off, using it to apply pressure to her neck wound, though he could see she was hurt elsewhere in some places as well. The bite wound was the worst, though. He then got to his feet and blurred toward the hospital.

Several hours later, after she was in a recovery room, he was seated on her bedside.

"Katherine, it's me. Can you hear me?" he called to her, hoping she'd wake up soon.

When she woke up, she saw that she was in the hospital, Damon seated on her bedside. She knew that he'd saved her, since she remembered seeing him before blacking out.

She gave a smile.

"Hey," she greeted.

"You made it," he replied. Then he had to ask her, "What happened? That vampire only came after you after you got hurt."

"I had to deal with an enemy after she made me human," she explained to him.

"Well, you're lucky I found you then," he replied. "How about I take you home."

She gave a smile.

"That would be great. Thank you for the save."

He gave a smile.

"You're welcome."