Into The Wild (2nd revised version)

Summary: What if Kat had arrived right after one of The Five had knocked Damon out?

Damon tried to get away from the guy and saw his tattoo on his hand.
"You're one of The Five."
He didn't have time for anything else, because everything went black.
The guy stood over Damon whom lay on his back and took out a stake. He raised it to strike, but at that moment, he was thrown a distance away. He stood up and saw a pissed off vampiress. He aimed the crossbow at her and fired, but she was instantly out of the way.
"We can play this game all you want, or you can leave and never bother any of us again."
He aimed to shoot again and she was instantly by him. She through his crossbow into the trees and kicked him to the ground.
"I guess it's the hard way then," she said. "You see, family and friends are everything so I take hurting or killing them personally."
She grabbed him by the throat, ready to kill him, when he stabbed her with a stake in her stomach in attempt to get her off. She pulled it out and tossed it away.
"Now that was just painful. That hurt."
He attempted to stake her to kill her and they ended up rolling on the ground, fighting over the stake.

When she saw his tattoo on his hand, she used all her strength and stabbed the stake into his leg. Then she left him on the ground in pain to painfully kneel down beside Damon.
The guy watched her in pain after he had put a dagger in her side. Now he knew she was in trouble and he didn't care. He had put werewolf poison and vervain on the dagger.
Katherine was too weak to pull the dagger out and she needed help, so all she could do was wait for Damon to awaken.

When Damon awoke not long afterward, he saw Katherine. The guy was gone and Kat didn't quite look right.
"Katherine?"
He slowly sat up.
"It's me. I did what I could. I didn't kill him but now I need help," she summarized.
He looked at her closely to figure out what was wrong. Then he saw she was pale, sweating, looked weak, and there was a dagger in her left side. It was deep, protruding close to the middle of her abdomen. He knew what she had done in the past, but she needed him now. She needed every ounce of help she could get.
He knelt in front of her.
"We need to get back to camp."
He tried to pull the dagger out, but couldn't. The handle of it was laced with vervain. As soon as his hand burned, he pulled it away.
His hand stopped burning and he put an arm around her, getting them both to their feet.
She put an arm around his shoulders weakly and they walked to camp, Kat limping.

Elena was heading for the trees, when she smelled fresh blood close by with the mixture of Damon's scent. Then, a moment later, Damon walked in with a very pale, limping, bleeding Katherine.
"Damon?" Elena questioned.

"She saved my life from one of The Five killing me. He daggered her with a vervained dagger," he explained.
"Let's get her in my tent," she suggested, walking up to them.
Katherine started to lose consciousness.
Both vampires stood at either side of her and used their body weight to hold her up. Elena put an arm around her and put Kat's free arm around her shoulders. Then they both half walked half dragged her to the tent.

A few minutes later, she lay on her back on Elena's sleeping bag, half conscious.
"I'm dying," she whispered.
Both vampires knew what she met. There was werewolf poison on the dagger, too.
"We won't let you die," Elena promised her.
Just then, they sensed Jeremy. Then he walked in.
"What's going on?" he asked.
"Jeremy, I want you to pull the dagger out. You're human. You can do it," Elena said.
"We'll explain after you pull it out," Damon informed him.
Jeremy bent down and pulled it out, tossing it out of the tent.
Kat gasped in pain.
"Shh; Shh, Katherine; it's okay; you'll be okay," Elena said, trying to calm her.
"While Elena babysits, I'll fill you in," Damon told Jeremy.
Jeremy and Damon left the tent.
Elena rested a gentle hand on Katherine's forehead. She was sweating badly. She took her hand away. She knew there was one thing she could do to help her descendant. So she did just that. She started to unbutton her leather jacket and take it off her to cool her down a little. Then, once it was off, Elena set it down in a corner.
Suddenly, a sharp pain sliced through her and Kat screamed in excruciating pain.
Elena tried to soothe her.

"So, what are you going to do?" Jeremy asked, having been filled in.
"We either need to get her home or call Klaus," Damon replied.
"I'll call Klaus," Damon heard Elena say from the tent.
Stefan and Rebekah came into camp.
"What about Klaus?" Stefan asked.
"Katherine's here. She saved my life from one of The Five. Now she's dying. Elena's with her. She's calling Klaus," Damon answered his brother.
"What's she even doing here in the first place?"
"I don't know, Stefan. Why don't you ask her yourself? I didn't have time to ask her. All I know is there's an injured one of The Five out there and Katherine's dying."

Elena called Niklaus and waited for an answer.
"Hello, Elena. What can I do for you?"
"It's Katherine. She's dying. You have to help her."
"What did Katerina get into this time?"
"She saved Damon's life from one of The Five. He stabbed her with a dagger with werewolf poison and vervain on it. Pleas, Klaus."
"If you get your friend to untrap me, I'll come over."
"I'll see what I can do. Are you really going to help, or do you just want free?"
"I want both, luv."
Another pain sliced through her and Kat screamed in excruciating agony.
"Thanks, Klaus."
They hung up.
"Hang in there," Elena said.

Damon looked at them.
"We need Bonnie so Klaus can cure her."
"I'll find her," Stefan volunteered.
Damon watched him go.
"It's quite amazing, you know. One moment, you're in love with her. The next moment, you want to kill her. Now you want to save her life," Rebekah said. "It's fascinating, really."
He looked at her.
"You don't understand."
"You're right. I don't. But I would if you'd explain it to me."
"I'd rather not. I think I'll pass."
"Very well, then."
"Rebekah, why don't you make yourself useful and go after my brother?"
"Or I could stay here," she replied, sitting down by the campfire on a log.
"You're stubborn," he commented.
He headed for the tent.

Elena looked down at the unconscious vampiress, hoping Bonnie would do it and Klaus would get here soon. She felt so helpless. All she could do was look after her and watch Katherine slowly die. She didn't want to lose yet another family member. She sure as hell didn't want to watch another die.
Damon walked inside and knelt by her beside Elena. He looked down at her; if only he had known why she had come here in the first place. He hoped she wouldn't die. He saw she was even worst and her breathing was labored.
Hang in there, he thought to her, not sure if she could hear him or not.

By the time Klaus walked into the tent, she was just minutes from death. It was hard for her to breathe and all she could do was lay there and wait for the time of death.

Klaus knelt down at her right side, as she closed her eyes and her head rolled to the left.
"Katerina, Katerina," he said.
He pulled her gently into his arms and positioned her head gently back. He bit his wrist and put it to her lips, making his blood go down her throat.
After he knew he had given her enough, he layed her gently back down and got to his feet.
"Thank you," Elena said.
"You're welcome. Now I must go."
Klaus left the tent.

Half an hour later, Kat came to to see Damon and Elena at either side of her.
"Hey," Elena greeted.
"Feeling better?" Damon asked.
"Yeah; thanks; to all of you."
"So, why were you here in the first place?"
"To help find the cure," she told him. "You may find it shocking and all, but I want that cure. I never wanted this. I only turned to get away from Klaus, but it didn't matter. He came after me, anyway. I want the cure as much as Elena here and you once did and Stefan. I can name off others that want it, too."

Damon was shocked that she wouldn't want to stay a vampire after all she had done.