Her Knight In Black

Summary: Set in S6. Damon finds a human Kat in need of help. Will he save her or just leave her? What will ensue?

It was a beautiful day by the woods, as Damon tried to figure out where the hell he had ended up at. As far as he figured, it wasn't exactly peace and neither was it hell. He knew he hadn't disintegrated with the Other Side, though. He had been taken here.
Suddenly, smelling the all too familiar scents of blood and human, he followed the scents into the woods for a distance. As he did, it began to pour, matching his not so great mood.
He stopped half a distance from the scene, seeing a guy he didn't care to question nor did he recognize, standing over someone. By the sudden familiar scent of his former sire, it was the one person he never wanted to see ever again. There had to be a reason that he ended up where she had, so he did the only thing he knew was the right thing to do. In a blur, he snapped his neck from behind and then knelt at his human and injured ex's side and gently pulled her into his arms, before vanishing from the woods and, once he realized that it was like an abandoned Mystic Falls, he knew where to go.

Once in his room, he gently layed her down on his bed and soon had gotten what he needed to take care of her wounds.
A few minutes after he had finished, he sat on her bedside and rested a gentle hand on the side of her face, looking down at her.
"Katherine, can you hear me? I need you to wake up. I know I don't deserve for you to do what I want or need, but I did just save your life."
After a few minutes of waiting and getting nothing, he began to wonder when she was going to wake up.
He sighed, not knowing what else to do for her. He had done everything possible to help her, apart from feeding her his blood. He hadn't fed his blood to her, because he didn't know if she could digest vampire blood. In the real world when she had been human and dying of old age, she hadn't been able to digest vampire blood.
After deciding to go inside her head to find out what was wrong, he saw everything that had happened between her and Kai, before finding her, and knew why he couldn't wake her up.
"Damon?" She questioned. "What are you doing here?"
"Don't worry. I'm not here to cause any trouble or torment you. I ended up here, wherever here is, after sacrificing myself to save Mystic Falls from the Travelers. I saw you and him in the woods, so I saved you. I couldn't wake you up, so I came here to find out why. I know you've been through hell, but you can't just give up. You didn't get this far to give up."
"Thanks for the save and your concern, but I don't need or want saving. We may be a lot alike, but you don't know how it feels to never be truly free."
"True, but you know I'm right, even if you don't want to admit it. Besides, she wouldn't want you to give up."
As she looked at him, she knew he was right about everything. She wondered what had happened for him to want to help her. Had he seen something she hadn't wanted him to see? Had something happened with or to Elena? She would have to find out, but not right away. When it came to talking to him about Elena, it was a touchy subject.
"Fine. Get out of my head and I'll wake up."
At that, he left her head and she soon awoke.
She gave a smile and he smiled back.
"So, what are you? My knight in black until we return?" she questioned.
"We'll see," he replied.
She knew that that was as much of a yes as she would get out of him.