I'm Movin' On (Datherine)

Summary: Set in S5. After she gets captured by an enemy, can Damon find and save her, or will it be too late? What will ensue?

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons

Finally content with a past I regret

I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness

For once I'm at peace with myself

I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long

I'm movin' on

It was a dismal night, as a recently turned back human Katherine walked through Mystic Falls, heading for the Salvatore boarding house. She was a human, which meant that she needed protection from her enemies. She didn't want Stefan's protection, nor did she want to go to New Orleans for Elijah's. Instead, she was going to put her life in Damon's hands. Despite his words and actions, she knew he still cared deep down. She knew that they would always have a connection, whether she was human or not.

When she was by an alley, she stopped in her tracks, seeing one of her many enemies in front of her. He was a vampire. She usually would run, but she didn't now, knowing it was useless against a vampire. She was human with no weapons to defend herself.

"Ambrose," she stated.

"Long time no see, Katherine," he replied. Then he stood inches in front of her, before putting a hand on her arm. "Let's go."

She let him walk her to wherever he was taking her, but since she still had her Daylight bracelet on, when they passed the Grille, she secretly made it fall to the ground. Anyone that knew her well enough, knew she wouldn't leave a piece of jewelry behind. Because of that, she let her bracelet fall to the ground, giving Damon the message that she needed help. He may not always be the nicest person towards her, but their rule still applied. If one of them was in danger, the other would come to the rescue. That, and she knew that he could never resist playing the hero.

When they got to an abandoned warehouse, he sat her in a chair, tying her there with rope. Then, when he'd done that, he brought out a knife.

"This is going to be fun," he stated. "Well, for me, anyways."

"Torture? Really? I taught you better than that," she replied, staying composed.

"Yes. You did. This isn't just torture, though. This is revenge. You killed someone I cared about. This is going to last for a while," he replied.

"Then get on with it, Ambrose. You know how easily I get bored."

Damon had just left the Mystic Bar and Grille, but stopped, seeing something familiar on the ground. He then picked it up, only to see that it was definitely Katherine's Daylight bracelet. He knew she was human, but he also knew that she wouldn't leave something so valuable to her behind. Not unless she was in trouble that she couldn't escape. Since she was only human, he assumed that she was in the hands of one of her many enemies. Probably a vampire. If she was, then he knew it was only a matter of time until the enemy got tired of her. He knew she couldn't survive a vengeful enemy. Especially, not a vampire. He knew he had to save her. Besides, he still cared. He didn't want to see her dead, whether he still loved her or not.

Several hours later, Damon finally found their location. And despite Ambrose being a little older than him, Damon was able to eventually stake him, ending him at last, saving his former sire from having to worry about him anymore. Then, when he was finished with Ambrose, he rushed to her side.

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces

Each one is different but they're always the same

They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it

They'll never allow me to change

But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong

I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on

At last I can see life has been patiently waiting for me

And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone

There comes a time in everyone's life

When all you can see are the years passing by

And I have made up my mind that those days are gone

Once knelt in front of her and after she was untied, he rested a hand on either side of her face. He could see that she was barely awake.

"You found me," she stated.

"You know, I always will," he replied. He then used his jacket to tie around her lower stomach wound. He then gently picked her up, and as he did, she layed her head on his shoulder. Then, as he left with her, he told her, "Stay with me, Katherine."

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn't

Stopped to fill up on my way out of town

I've loved like I should but lived like I shouldn't

I had to lose everything to find out

Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road

I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on

A few hours later, after surgery, he was seated on her bedside, a hand on hers, waiting for her to wake up. He was thankful that she'd be okay, but knew tonight had been a close call. Because he didn't want her to die, he was ready to try and move past his grudges against her vampire self. He was willing to do anything to protect her.

When she woke up and he told her what he'd decided, she happily went with him to the boarding house. She was happy that she didn't have to ask or convince him. He'd convinced himself. And that was enough for her.

After a while of him protecting her from danger, no matter what, and when she fully healed, he fell back in love with her. So, therefore, they got back together again.