Deep Trouble

Summary: What if Stefan had been too late to stop Damon from killing Klaus? Will they survive his hybrids or will they perish? Will Katherine stay to help fight off the hybrids?

Night, Homecoming Dance (Canceled)

Damon slammed into Klaus and they both went down to the ground. Then before Klaus could do anything, and before Stefan could get to him to stop him, Damon staked Klaus with a White Oak stake. The only thing that could and would kill him. And now he had won. Klaus was dead.

Stefan slammed into him, pinning him to the wall.

"You shouldn't have done that. Now his hybrids are going to kill you."

"They can try."

Damon pushed him off.

Stefan watched his brother go.

Damon went to Katherine.

"Let's get out of her before it all goes down. Shall we, Kat?"

She smiled.

"Yeah. Let's go."

He smiled back.

They silently left.

Kat and Damon walked into the Salvatore boarding house. Elena was seated on the couch awaiting their arrival.

She looked up when they walked in and strode up to her.

"How did it go?" Elena asked.

"Klaus is dead but we're not out of trouble yet. You are. Not me. I'm as good as dead," he replied as he stood in front of the fireplace, drink in hand. Then, with anger, he through his shot glass to the floor, not caring that it now was in tiny pieces on the rug. Kat rested a gentle hand on his shoulder and spoke softly in a voice he would always love.

"It'll be okay."

"How do you know, Katherine?"

Elena went to stand in front of him. She rested a gentle hand on his face.

"We'll get through this. We always do."

"Not this time, Elena. My brother has a bad habit of wrong timing. Now that Klaus is dead, his hybrids are going to come after me to finish me off. How am I going to survive that? Most of them are werewolves."

"We'll find a way. We always do."

"And I'll be by you and Elena's side to help," Kat replied.

"Thanks, Katherine," he said.

"You know I'm always there for you in your time of need," she told him.

So in the end, they defeated the hybrids and all was well that ends well.