In Another Life

Summary: Set in 5x1 when Silas tried to drown Kat, but in this one he injures her, instead. When Damon comes home, will he care enough to save her? Will they get back together? Based on "In Another Life" by The Veronicas.

I have known you my whole life

When you were ten, you said you'd make me your wife

Eight years later, you won me over

Just as I took the world on my shoulders

I got used to living without you

Endless phone calls and dreaming about you

Always said that you were my man to be

But I guess I was in love with your memory

You know I love you, you know I do

But I can't fight any more for you

And I don't know, maybe we'll be together again

Sometime, in another life

In another life

It was a nebulous night, as she sat in the bathroom against a wall, injured. She'd fought against Silas and had been able to lock the door, but he'd injured her with a knife. She assumed Silas was gone now, but she needed Damon to come home. She knew he was her only hope in surviving. He didn't love her, as he'd said on countless occasions, but she knew he'd save her. He never could resist playing the hero.

I know I said I would keep my word

I wished that I could save you from the hurt

But things will never go back to how we were

I'm sorry I can't be your world

You know I love you, you know I do

But I can't fight any more for you

And I don't know, maybe we'll be together again

Sometime, in another life

In another life (In another life)

Half an hour later, Damon came home after being at the Mystic Bar and Grille. He'd needed a break from Katherine. When he came home, he could smell the familiar scent of blood. He could also smell Silas' scent. That's when he knew that Silas had been in his home and had hurt her. He always said that he didn't love or care about her, but that was a lie. After all, he still cared about her. Plus, they still had a connection, whether he liked it or not.

He followed the scent of blood, which led to his bathroom. Then, finding the bathroom door locked, he used some vamp strength to break the lock.

Once he walked in, he searched for her and soon saw her. She was against the wall and there was a knife stabbed into her lower stomach. There was also an opened artery in her thigh and she was pale from a lot of blood loss.

He blurred over to her and knelt by her. He then rested a hand on the side of her face.

"Katherine, can you hear me?" he called to her. "I need you to wake up. Open your eyes." He knew he had to wake her up. With her injuries and this much blood loss, it wasn't good for her to not be awake. "Come on, Katherine. Open your eyes for me."

He waited, but she didn't wake up, which made him afraid for her. He didn't want her to die.

The way you're holding on to me

Make me feel like I can't breathe

Just let me go, just let me go

It just won't feel right inside

God knows I've tried

You know I love you, you know I do

But I can't fight any more for you

And I don't know, maybe we'll be together again

Sometime, in another life

In another life, in another life

In another life

He didn't know if she'd make it to the hospital, so he did what he could. He grabbed some towels and used one to tie around her opened artery. Then he pulled out the knife and tied one around her lower stomach. Then he slid an arm under her legs, put her arm around his shoulders, and slid his other arm under her, pulling her into his arms.

Once on his feet with her in his arms, he blurred her to the hospital.

Several hours later, after surgery, he was seated on her bedside, a hand on hers, his other hand on the side of her face, waiting for her to awaken.

When she woke up and saw him on her bedside, she knew that he'd saved her life.

"You made it through. I thought I lost you," he greeted.

She gave a smile.

"You didn't lose me. I'm still here." She then added, "Since when do you care, though?"

"I always have. I just hid it. I didn't want to get hurt again. When I saw you there though, I realized something. I still loved you."

She was happy with his confession.

A few moments later, they were kissing.