Peril

Summary: Set in S6 when Caroline turned her humanity off. What if, starting in S2, Damon and Caroline were together instead of Damon and Elena ending up together throughout the series? What if Katherine never died of old age in S5? What if Katherine ended up having to be saved from a humanityless Caroline? What will happen?

A/N: For those of you who do not recognize the scene, it's from the episode when Caroline told Stefan to turn his humanity off in S6. Just a clarification.

It was a nebulous (dark) night, as Damon Salvatore stood in the living room of the Salvatore boarding house, trying to think of where Caroline Forbes would go after she had turned her humanity off after losing her mother, Sheriff Liz Forbes. First her father had been killed a few years ago. Now her mother had died of cancer. She had no family left and it wasn't like anyone she knew, apart from Elena of course, knew what it was like to lose both parents. It was different for Caroline, though. Now she had turned it off and he didn't exactly know her as well as her friends did, so he didn't really know where Blondie would go.
He set his empty shot glass he had been drinking Bourbon out of, on his drinking table.
When he smelled a familiar scent he knew all too well, he turned around to face her. Even as a human, she was annoying as hell to him. She was also a pain in his ass, but though he wouldn't admit it to her or anybody else, she was helpful at times. As a vampiress, she had been 500 years old, so she had had 400 plus years on him. She'd know some things that he wouldn't. In the past, she had been quite helpful. Besides, they had a lot in common, due to her siring him and making him in her own image. She taught him everything he knew and though he half hated her, there was a part of him that would always care. That part he always ignored, though. He wanted nothing to do with her. He wished she would just leave town already. There was nothing she could really do, but then again, she was here for protection due to her being human. Because of her being formerly 500 years old, she had more enemies than probably even she could count. She'd be dead if she had no protection and one of her enemies found her and saw that she was human.
"Don't you have somewhere else to be besides here? Go annoy someone else. I'm not in the mood," he told her before she could say anything.
"Let me guess. Caroline and her non-emotions? I may be human, but I'm not deaf. I heard she turned it off," she replied.
"You're not helping. Get out."
"Fine," she replied, before leaving. "I'll be back in an hour. That should give you enough time to figure things out or whatever."
He watched her go and heard the front door, as she closed it, and wondered why she wasn't being her normal annoying and pain in the ass self. Maybe this time she understand, he reasoned with himself. Or, if he was lucky, she wasn't in the mood to be annoying and fight with him. Maybe she was just having an off day, he figured. Therefore, he didn't dwell on it and just ignored her new behavior.

Half an hour later, while Damon was in Whitmore, deciding to try the college first, a very human Katherine was captured and in a room in the basement of the college, Caroline in a room at the college, having a drink and waiting on Damon to show up. She was having fun with her humanity off, which made her wonder why she hadn't turned it off a long time ago. It was fun for her in causing chaos and pain and misery; especially, when it was Katherine who was involved. For her, it was revenge for everything Katherine had done, though and she figured, even with his humanity on, Damon would enjoy this too. She believed that he hated Katherine more than even she did with or without her humanity on.
Soon enough, he entered the room, closing the door behind himself, and saw her standing at the bar in the kitchen part of the room.
"So glad for you to join me, Damon."
"What's that supposed to mean?" he inquired, figuring there had to be meaning behind what she had said. She had her humanity off, after all. He could relate. He was even worse without his humanity on, though. He had turned it off a little while after he had left Mystic Falls and his brother in 1864, upset, thinking that Katherine had been dead, when, in truth, she had just faked her death and hadn't wanted even Damon to know about it.
"I've been waiting for you. We can't have any fun without you here," she replied.
"Well, you could've called. What are you up to?"
"But that wouldn't make it as fun if I called you. Just about to have some fun with Katherine," she answered him without remorse or feeling.
"Where is she?" he questioned, guessing what she meant by fun.
"The basement. Don't worry. She's alive for now, but when we're done, let's just say that she won't be."
When she told him that, he knew he was right about what her intentions were when it came to Katherine. He had his limits though. Katherine had saved him from a life of being nothing, when she had turned him and again a few years ago when she had cured him of a werewolf bite. He didn't fully hate her enough to kill her when she was still only human. Maybe as a vampire he would love to try, but as a human he wouldn't. He had to save her. Just so she wouldn't guess what his thoughts about it was, he made sure that he didn't show his true feelings to her about it.
He went to stand next to her at the bar.
"Let's go see her," she said, before turning her back on him.
He took his chance to save Katherine by snapping her neck, not knowing what else to do.

Half an hour later, he found his way to the basement of the Whitmore College and followed the mixed scents of Katherine, human, and blood to find her.
A few minutes later, he found her in a room on a bed, having already been injured; probably when she had been captured who knew how long ago or she had already had some "fun" with his ex-girlfriend.
He went to stand at her bedside and looked down at her.
He rested a gentle hand on the side of her face.
"Katherine, can you hear me?"
After about twenty minutes, she started to come to.
"Damon?" she said softly from losing a lot of blood while she had been out for a while.
He took his hand away.
"It's okay. It's just me. Let's get you out of here."
He gently pulled her into his arms and then blurred away from Whitmore and to where he had parked his car. He then gently set her in the passenger's seat and closed the door, before getting in and driving back to Mystic Falls. It wouldn't be safe to keep her in Whitmore right now with Caroline's humanity off. Not after what had just happened. He would've fed her his blood, but ever since she had been turned back into a human, she hadn't been able to digest vampire blood, so it was useless for him to try. He had to get her to the Mystic Falls hospital, instead.

An hour later, she was taken care of and in Damon's bed upstairs in the boarding house.

A few weeks later, after certain events ensuing, Damon was finally able to get Caroline to turn it back on and all was forgiven between the three of them. So he and Caroline's story continued on.