Hard To Love

Summary: Set in S5E1. Based on the song "Hard To Love" by Lee. Damon finds her after she crashed the car, but unlike most of my other fanfics, she's in the woods. Will he save her? Will she live?

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*

I am insensitive, I have a tendency

To pay more attention to the things that I need

Sometimes I drink too much, sometimes I test your trust

Sometimes I don't know why you stay with me

I'm hard to love, hard to love

No, I don't make it easy

I couldn't do it if I stood where you stood

I'm hard to love, hard to love

You say that you need me

I don't deserve it but I love that you love me, good

It was a nebulous night, as a human Katherine and her childe Damon, stood in front of each other.

"Please...help me," she said forcefully, risking it by putting her life in his hands.

He looked at her in silence for a moment before saying, "Fine. You can stay."

She watched, as he left the room.

*Crash*

I am a short fuse, I am a wrecking ball

Crashing into your heart like I do

You're like a Sunday morning, full of grace and full of Jesus

I wish that I could be more like you

I'm hard to love, hard to love

No, I don't' make it easy

I couldn't do it if I stood where you stood

I'm hard to love, hard to love

You say that you need me

I don't deserve it but I love that you love me, good

Love me, good

It was a dismal night, as Katherine lay on the floor of the woods, injured after crashing the car and then limping as far away as possible, not wanting to be handed over to Silas by Damon.

After no reply from her on her phone, he went to investigate and found his almost totaled car, along with a lot of blood and a trail of blood. He was mad that she'd tried to run, but also worried that she was too badly injured. He hated her, but she'd once been his girlfriend. She'd been right. A part of him didn't want her to die.

Half an hour after following the trail of blood into the woods, he found her on her back.

He blurred over and knelt at her side, only to see that there was blood on either side of her head, an opened artery in her thigh, and her lower stomach was bleeding. She was also very pale.

"I'm so sorry, Katherine. This is my fault. Just stay with me," he said, as he gently pulled her into his arms and got to his feet. He then blurred to the hospital.

Girl, you've given me a million chances

And I don't wanna take you for granted

I'm just a man, I'm just a man

Hard to love, hard to love

Oh, I don't make it easy

And I couldn't do it if I stood where you stood

I'm hard to love, hard to love

And you say that you need me

I don't deserve it but I love that you love me, good

You love me, good

You love me, good

Half an hour later, he was pacing in the waiting room, as the doctors did surgery to save her life. He knew that this was his fault. He knew now that he'd been wrong to do that to her. She'd had a sucky life for 500 years. She deserved a chance at being human. Besides, no matter what, she always gave him more chances. He'd done many things to her, but yet she didn't kill or try to kill him for it. Maybe, deep down in that bitchy self of hers, she really did care for him. Now, because of him, she may not make it through the night.

Five hours later, she survived the surgery and he went and sat on her bedside. That was when he realized that he loved her once more. And so, when she woke up, their story continued further.