Love Without End

Summary: Set in S8. Kat survives a few years in the prison world and Kai. After escaping, she's found by Damon. After they fix things between each other, she begins to start dying of old age, once again. Can he find a way to save her life, or will she die again? If she lives, what will ensue between them? Will they get back together like they should've done in 2x1?

I'm running out of time

I hope that I can save you somehow

If I—If I had superpowers

I'd save the world and you would be mine, mine

Have no fear, your hero is here

My super sense is tellin' me that danger is near

I'm gettin' close to you so I can watch your back

A villain's on the loose and he's ready to attack

But I'm not a superhero

I'm not that kinda guy

But I can save you baby

Give me a try

'Cause I'm runnin' out of time

It was a dismal night, as Damon walked through town. After what had all happened several years ago, he was alone, everyone else having either died or moved out of town. Even Elena had been gone for years. Despite the grief, he was glad for the peace.

Suddenly, he stopped, smelling the all too familiar scents of Katherine, human blood, and human. Then, looking around, he saw her on her back on the ground, injured, human, and not far from a streetlight pole. He also saw an ascendant not far from her.

He blurred to her side and knelt by her. He knew from her injuries and the ascendant that she'd had to deal with Kai. Considering she hadn't been able to digest vampire blood when she'd been human last time though, he didn't wanna try it. He knew he had to do something, though. She'd lost a lot of blood, was pale from blood loss, had an opened thigh artery, and an arrow protruding from her lower stomach. After the years Elena had spent as a doctor, he'd learned things. He knew she wasn't doing well.

He took her jacket gently off and tied it around her thigh artery to try and stop her from bleeding out any further. He then pulled the arrow out and tossed it to the ground, before resting a hand on the side of her face.

"Stay with me, Katherine. You're not dying tonight. Look at me."

He gently slid an arm under her legs and another under her, supporting her head, as he gently pulled her into his arms and got to his feet.

"I've gotcha. You're gonna be okay," he assured her.

Half an hour later, he watched her be rushed down the hallway. Although he hated her for past things she'd done, nobody deserved to be treated the way Kai treated people. Not even Katherine herself. He hoped she'd be okay. She'd lost so much blood that he hadn't been able to keep her awake long enough for him to get her to the hospital. Now, as she was rushed down the hallway, he knew she was in critical condition.

Several hours later, he was seated on her bedside, once she was in the recovery room. She'd be okay, but he now saw that she was dying. He noticed it from the last time she'd been human.