Be Your Hero

Summary: Set in S7. Katherine survives a year of being stuck in a prison world and finally makes it back to Mystic Falls. When Damon finds her, what will take place? Will they fall back into love?

Would you dance
If I asked you to dance?
Would your run
And never look back?
Would you cry
If you saw me crying?
Would you save my soul tonight?
Would you tremble
If I touched your lips?
Would you laugh?
Oh, please, tell me this
Now would you die
For the one you love?
Hold me in your arms tonight
I can be your hero, baby
I can kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away

It was a dark night in the Mystic Falls woods, as Damon walked after finishing a bottle of Bourbon, trying to live without Elena without being reckless. When she woke up, he knew she wouldn't want to see that he had turned back into the old Damon that everyone hated. He was trying with all of his being not to become him. For Elena, he wouldn't become the old Damon. He would continue to do what he felt was the right thing to do.
He stopped in the heart of the woods, smelling human blood and the familiar scent of her.

He growled. She didn't have the right to be here, when Elena couldn't be, but then again, maybe seeing a familiar face that looked like Elena, would help him not have to fight for control so hard. Besides, he wanted to know how she was back. She had died a year ago.

He followed her scent trail until he started to see a trail of blood, leading him to her. She obviously had tried to get out of the woods for help, but hadn't succeeded. Knowing her, she probably thought it best to come to him, just because he had once loved her the most. She had lost too much blood to attempt it for long, though.

When he found her, she was on her side, blood everywhere, an ascendant by her, eyes closed, and unnaturally pale.

He was instantly knelt at her side and gently got her on her back, before looking down at her. As he did, he could tell that wherever she had been hadn't been kind to her. It looked like someone had stabbed her in the thigh, side, and stomach and there was blood on either side of her head and a knife in her shoulder, dangerously close to the side of her neck.

He pulled the knife out and tossed it aside.

With vamp hearing, he listened to her breathing, which was growing shallower and shallower each minute.

He rested gentle hands on either side of her head.

"If you can hear me, stay with me, Katherine. Keep breathing."

He gently pulled her into his arms and got to his feet, before blurring to the hospital.

Once in a vacant hospital room with the door and blinds closed, he gently layed her down on a hospital bed. He then put a breathing mask on her, before grabbing what he needed to care for her wounds. Some of it he knew from fighting in the 1864 war, and everything else he learned from Elena. Before Kai, she had been going to college and going to the hospital to learn how to be a doctor. She had such a big, soft heart that she always wanted to help people.

A few minutes later, he had finished with her wounds and restored the blood she had lost.

Would you swear
That you'll always be mine?
Or would you lie?
Would you run and hide?
Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
I don't care
You're here tonight
I can be your hero, baby
I can kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away
Oh, I just want to hold you
I just want to hold you, oh, yeah
Am I in too deep?
Have I lost my mind?
Well, I don't care
You're here tonight

He sat on her bedside, waiting for her to come to, a gentle hand on the left side of her face.

"Can you hear me, Katherine? It's me. I need you to open your eyes for me. I know I don't deserve for you to listen to me, but you don't know what kind of Hell I've been going through. I know you were put through worse Hell than me, but I need you to hear me and wake up. Come on, Katherine. Please."

He waited, but there wasn't a sign that she was waking up any time soon. So, wondering what was wrong, he went inside her head; this time though, not to cause her torment. When he did, he looked into her recent memories, only to find that what he thought had happened to her, had. It had been Kai. First he had put the love of his life under a sleeping spell. Now he had injured his sire and ex-girlfriend badly enough that it looked like she was in some kind of coma. There wasn't much he could really do except talk to her and make sure she stayed alive. As far as he knew she thought, she didn't have anything to live for. Her will to live had died when Nadia had died and Elijah had given up on her.

"Despite what you think, Kat, you're not alone. I'm right here. I'm not leaving," he promised her, coming out of her head.

He rested a gentle hand on the left side of her face and silently looked down at her.

I can be your hero, baby
I can kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away

As he silently looked down at her, waiting for her to wake up, he realized that he never stopped caring about her. He didn't want his sire, human or not, to die.

He figured it would be a while before she woke up, so he gently picked her up in his arms and headed home with her.

Once in his room, he gently layed her down on his bed and sat on her bedside. He then put his hand in her left one, hoping for her to wake up.

I can be your hero
I can kiss away the pain
And I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away
I can be your hero

Several hours later, when she slowly came to, it relieved him, knowing that she'd be okay. She wasn't dying any time soon.

A few weeks later, not meaning to, they fell back into love.