Trying Not To Love You

Summary: Set in S1-3. Pretty much just three seasons worth of Damon and Katherine going at it again and again.

*Homecoming*

You call to me, and I fall at your feet

How could anyone ask for more?

And our time apart, like knives in my heart

How could anyone ask for more?

But if there's a pill to help me forget

God knows I haven't found it yet

But I'm dying to, God I'm trying to

'Cause trying not to love you, only goes so far

And trying not to need you, is tearing me apart

Can't see the silver lining, from down here on the floor

And I just keep on trying, but I don't know what for

'Cause trying not to love you

Only makes me love you more

It was a dark night, as he lay in bed in his room, close to death because of a werewolf bite. He was just moments from joining the Other Side.

A moment later, she walked in with the cure and stood at his bedside. She then put the vial to his lips, making Klaus' blood go down his throat.

A few minutes later, she set the empty vial on the end table and rested a gentle hand on the side of his face.

He opened his eyes and looked at her.

"You came back."

She gave a smile.

"I owed you one."

He watched, as she left.

*The Tomb*

And this kind of pain, only time takes away

That's why it's harder to let you go (That's why it's harder to let you go)

And nothing I can do, without thinking of you

That's why it's harder to let you go (That's why it's harder to let you go)

But if there's a pill to help me forget

God know I haven't found it yet

But I'm dying to, God I'm trying to

'Cause trying not to love you, only goes so far

Trying not to need you, is tearing me apart

Can't see the silver lining, from down here on the floor

And I just keep on trying, but I don't know what for

'Cause trying not to love you

Only makes me love you more

After he had tried to kill her and had vervained her, Katherine woke up to see Damon, but she wasn't sure where she was, as she got to her feet.

"Where am I?" she asked him.

"Where you should've been all along."

A moment later, he began to close the door to the tomb.

"Wait. Damon, please," she begged. "Elena's in danger. Why do you think I haven't killed her? She needs to be protected," she then warned him.

"Then I'll protect her. Goodbye, Katherine."

As he walked away with the tomb closed, he heard her yell to him, "You need me!" He would've just killed her after vervaining her, but as he had told her, after everything she had done, "Death would've been too kind."

*The Last Day*

It was a beautiful day, as Damon knocked on Ric's apartment door, finding out that she was being held there by Klaus. Out of the goodness of his heart, he was there to see if she deserved what little help her could give her. He couldn't rescue her, but he could give her a vial of vervain. It would keep her from being compelled by Klaus and he knew that Klaus was her enemy and worse fear.

*The Return*

I sit here divided, talking to myself

Was it something I did?

Was there somebody else?

When a voice from behind me, that was fighting back tears

Sat right down beside me, whispered right in my ear

Said, I've been dying to tell you

It was a dark night in his living room, as they stood in front of each other after making out.

"I have one question. Answer it right and it's back to rockets and fireworks. I'll forget the 145 years I've spent missing you. I'll forget how much I loved you. I'll forget everything and we can start over. This can be our defining moment. See, we have time. That's the beauty of eternity. I just need the truth just this once," he said.

Before he could ask his question, she said, "Stop. I already know the question and its answer. The truth is...I've never loved you. It was always Stefan," she lied.

As she left, her words sinking in, thinking it was the truth, his heart broke into a million pieces. He had loved her the most out of the two Salvatores and she had thrown it back in his face.

*The House Guest*

That trying not to love you, only went so far

Trying not to need you, was tearing me apart

Now I see the silver lining, from what we're fighting for

We just keep on trying, we could be much more

'Cause trying not to love you

Oh, yeah, trying not to love you

Only makes me love you more

It was a dark night, as Damon lay on his bed, when Katherine walked in.

"You were mean today," she said.

He looked at her.

"You deserved it."

She crawled up the bed to him so that she was on top of him.

"You were very rough. I like this Damon."

She gave a smile and their faces were just inches apart.

When she attempted to kiss him, he told her, "Katherine, there are six other bedrooms in this house." He lightly, but with vampire agility, pushed her off him. "Go find one."

She landed next to him, surprised that he was rejecting her for probably the tenth time this year.