I Know What You Did Last Summer (3rd revised version)

Summary: Set in S5E "I Know What You Did Last Summer." What if Katherine got hurt worse than she did in the episode, when she limped away from the crash site? What if Jeremy hadn't almost died? What if Damon went to find her?

Kat

It's a dark night in Mystic Falls, Virginia as I painfully limp away from the car. Jeremy's fine. He's not going to die anytime soon. I may act like I don't care, but I do care. He's all Elena has left of family, since she doesn't consider me a part of her family, even though we're both Petrova doppelgangers. Besides, I didn't mean to get him hurt or killed or to cause a car crash. All I wanted was for him to turn around. I don't wanna die anytime soon; especially, not from Silas.

As I limp away, I don't know where I'm going, but I have to get away, before Damon shows up. He'll be peeved off when he finds out what happened. Then I realize that I'm heading into the woods. That's when I know where my destination is. There's only one place here that you have to go pass the woods to get to; the Mikaelson place.

In the heart of the woods, my vision is gray and I suddenly feel the ground under me. Then everything goes black.

Damon

Once little Gilbert is taken care of and he tells me what happened, I leave him on my couch at the boarding house. I know why she left him. I broke my promise to her that I'd protect her from Silas, so she did the one thing she's good at; she ran for her life to survive. I understand that, but it doesn't mean that I'm happy that she left him like that.

I return to the crash site and follow her scent trail, which worries me, since it has the scent of blood. That means she's hurt. I don't know how injured she is, though. I won't know until I find her.

Once in the heart of the woods, I see her on her back on the ground.

I'm instantly knelt down at her side.

I look down at her.

I see that she's quite injured. There's blood on either side of her head and her left side and thigh are injured. She has cuts on her face too and she's pale from blood loss.

I have to do something for her, but I can't give her vampire blood. Her body just rejects it these days. I have to help her the old fashioned way.

I rest a gentle hand on her forehead.

"If you can hear me, Katherine, hang in there. I'm right here. I'm going to help you, but you have to keep fighting."

I take my hand away and gently pull her into my arms, before getting to my feet with her and vamp speeding towards home.

Once I have her on her back on my bed and her wounds taken care of, I sit on her bedside and wait for her to awaken.

Kat

Before I open my eyes, coming to, I feel a gentle hand in mine. Then, when I do open my eyes, I see that I'm in Damon's room in his bed with him seated on my bedside, looking worried.

"You're awake," he says, sounding relieved.

I look up at him.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome," he replies. "You're very lucky I went back for you after what you did."

"Well, you know me. I'm a survivor, even if I don't feel like it some days."

"Yes, well, you're lucky Elena doesn't know about any of this. Get some rest," he replies to me, before getting up and leaving the room.

I watch him leave.