Love; Hate; Such A Fine Line

Summary: What if Bonnie had lived? What if things had gone a little differently? What if Damon had died with Katherine, instead of Bonnie? Will they learn to get along, so they can find a way home? What will ensue?

It was a beautiful day, as Damon and Katherine walked side by side, annoying the hell out of each other.

Once by what looked to be Elena's house, they saw a newspaper on the lawn.
They stopped and Katherine picked it up.
Damon looked at it over her shoulder.
"October 10, 1994," Katherine read.
"Either we're in my personal hell, or we're living someone else's hell," he commented.
"Or you're completely wrong," Katherine added.
Not long afterward, they found their way to the Salvatore boarding house.

Days went by, each being the same day. The same date. It made them bored, so he learned how to make pancakes, and she began doing crossword puzzles.

One day, after an argument, she left him inside a grocery store. Then, when she came back, Damon was in trouble. They had thought that they were the only ones there. Apparently, they were wrong. There was a guy standing in the aisle, all the Bourbon bottles shattered around Damon, Damon on the floor as if he had been vervained, wet from the Bourbon that had fallen on him.
Katherine went to stand not far from her elder childe.
"Am I interrupting something?" she asked, looking at the stranger.
"As a matter of fact, you are. You're welcome to join us, though."
"Leave him alone," she said in warning, before magically throwing the guy against the shelf. No one messed with him except her.

When the guy woke up, he was tied to a wooden chair with chains.
"Here's what's going to happen. One way or another, you're going to tell us everything we want to know. No lying to us, because we can tell if you're lying. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Your choice," Katherine told him.
"Who are you? Why are you here?" Damon asked.
"Kai. I've been here a long time. No need for details, but I killed most of my siblings, so my father put me here as punishment. I wasn't born a typical witch, but I can absorb someone else's magic and use it as my own by touch. If I absorb too much, it'll kill the person. Then I'll have the person's magic for my own until it dies out. But enough of me. You're Damon Salvatore and Katherine Pierce. I'm surprised you're working together. You hate each other."
Not taking the bait, she just simply asked Kai, "Do you know how to get the hell out of here?"
"Yes," he replied.
"How?" Damon inquired.
"If I tell you, you have to take me with you. But first, if you want to know how to get out of here, you have to let me go," Kai replied.
"No way," Damon answered.
"Then you're never getting out of here," Kai told him, looking at both of them.
"I hate to say this, but he's right. We won't get out of here without his help. We need him. We've been here for days without a clue on how to get home. I don't like it any better than you do, but it has to be done. He's our ticket out of here," she told Damon.
"Fine," he replied, seeing her point. Like usual, she was right. Not that he'd ever admit to it outloud or anything.
He unchained Kai and Kai went to sit at the table.
"Now tell us how we get out of here," Katherine demanded of Kai.
"First we use this," he said, grabbing something. "It's an ascendant." He looked at Katherine. "Drip some of your blood on it when we're ready to use it." He looked at them both. "Then, once there's an eclipse, we hold the ascendant and it'll take us home."
"Sounds good," Katherine commented.
Damon didn't like working with Kai, but he was willing to do almost anything, if it meant that he would be alive and home again.

The day they were planning to go home, they made a plan. Damon killed Kai, before they went down in the cave, and waited for the eclipse.
When they were in the cave, she dripped her blood on the ascendant and waited, Damon beside her. Then the eclipse came out.
Suddenly, Kai arrived with a bow and arrow and shot her with an arrow in her lower stomach.
"Katherine," her childe said.
Pain surged through her, but he was there to keep her on her feet.
"You thought you could go without me? You were wrong. Now she's going to die for that mistake," Kai said.
"Burn in hell," Katherine responded.
A moment later, they disappeared.
As they disappeared, she leaned against Damon.
A few minutes later, they were outside the boarding house, home at last.
"We did it," she said with a smile.
They smiled at each other. Then, because of everything they had been through together, and because of the moment, they kissed.
A moment later, Katherine pulled away.
They looked at each other.
A moment later, everything went black for her.
With vampire reflexes, he caught her from hitting the ground and gently layed her down on her back on the ground. He then pulled her gently into his arms, before biting his wrist and putting it to her lips, making his blood go down her throat to heal her, hoping it would work, considering that before she had died and before she had become a Traveler inside Elena and had to be killed, her body had been rejecting vampire blood. He hoped it would work, because he didn't want to watch her die, yet again. While in that place with her, he had began to feel something for her. He didn't want her to die.
When her wound healed, he gently picked her up in his arms and went inside with her, heading upstairs to his own room.

Once in his room, he gently layed her down in his bed and sat on her bedside, waiting for her to come to.
As he waited, he thought of something she had said a few years ago. Considering he didn't hate her anymore, she had been right. "Love; hate; such a fine line."

An hour later, she came to, clearly back to normal.
They smiled at each other and shared a very passionate, lust-filled kiss.