The Journey Home

Summary: Set in S6. Kat's journey from waking up in the prison world, to finding out how to go back to being alive again. What will happen?

As she started to come to, she felt something like grass under her. The last thing she remembered was being swept away by a black mist, or whatever it was.
She opened her eyes to see that she was on a resident's lawn, and could hear voices. She knew those voices well. It brightened her spirits, knowing she wasn't alone, wherever she was. So, after getting to her feet, she followed the voices to a street. It was definitely them. Damon and Bonnie wee arguing non-stop.
They stopped when they saw a newspaper.
"The question isn't where. It's when," Bonnie said. "Look at the date."
"1994. My own personal hell," he commented.
"What's so bad about 1994? What did you do?"
"I'm not telling you. Let's just find a way out of here, so we can get back to your friends and my girlfriend."
They continued to walk until they came across Elena's house. They then went to the porch and Bonnie sat on an outdoor couch, and he sat beside her. It felt like they had been walking around for days, and Damon was losing hope of never getting out.
"Why can't you have a little hope?" Bonnie asked. "Look,magic brought us here, which means magic can get us out of here. I just have to find a way to get my magic back."
Katherine decided that this was the time to show herself and butt in.
She walked up to the porch.
"I think I can help with that," she announced.
Damon, at vamp speed, pinned her to a wall.
"What the hell are you doing here, Katherine?" he growled.
"I'm stuck here just like you. Besides, you didn't think I'd be that easy to get rid of for good, did you? I can help if we work together. You want to go back for Elena. Bonnie wants to go back for her friends. I want to go back to win Elijah back. We can go our separate ways once we're back. For now, we need to help each other," she replied.
He let her go.
"How do I know you're not going to screw us over?"
"I'm human, Damon. I wouldn't do that. Not when I'm no match for you," she replied.
"She's right," Bonnie decided. "So, you said you can help me. How? You're not a witch."
She looked at the witch. "I'm descended from Travelers. I can help you with my Traveler magic. You never really lost your magic. It's still inside you. Once a witch, always a witch. You have to dig deep inside yourself. We need candles and a place to stay."

An hour later, they were at the Salvatore boarding house, seated at the kitchen table, lit candles on it in the middle, Katherine practicing with Bonnie.
Soon after, Bonnie had found her magic and they were looking for a way back home.

A couple days later, they found a way home and soon were back home. Elena was thrilled to have Damon back, and her friends and Elena were happy that Bonnie was back.

The next day, Katherine arrived in New Orleans to win Elijah back, which, after a few weeks, worked. He and Kat got back together and she stayed there.