I Know What You Did Last Summer (5th revised version)

Summary: Set in S5E "I Know What You Did Last Summer." Another version of the aftermath of the car crash, but Jeremy doesn't almost die. He leaves her and tells Damon what happened. Will she live? Will Damon save her after she tried to run? Can he save her, or will it be too late?

As Katherine Pierce sat in the passenger's seat in bad shape, Jeremy got out and left her, as he called Damon to let him know what happened, in which Damon told him to go to the boarding house. He didn't even take one look at her. He didn't care about her. He'd rather let her die then help her.

When Damon Salvatore got to the crash site, he was instantly at her side, using his vampire strength to open the crinkled and dented door.

Once it was open, he rested gentle hands on either side of her face, as he assessed her condition. She had definitely gotten the worse part of the wreck. There was blood on either side of her head and cuts all over her. He could smell more blood though, so he looked to find where the source was. That's when he saw that a big piece of shard glass was protruding from her left side.

He looked at her pale face.

"Katherine, can you hear me?" he called.

Nothing.

"Katherine, if you can hear me, I'm going to help you. Just stay with me. You're a survivor. I'm not going to let you die from a mere car crash.

He took his hands away and snapped her seatbelt in two, before taking the glass out of her side. He then dropped it and gently picked her up in his arms and raced towards his place. She couldn't die. Not like this. And it was all his fault that this was happening. He had broken his promise to protect her from Silas, the moment he told Jeremy to turn back around. He had been ready to just hand her over on a silver platter to Silas, just because Silas said that he knew where Stefan was. Yes, he'd do anything for his brother, but he should've known that Katherine wouldn't come quietly or without a fight, knowing that she was going to die faster than she wanted to because of Damon giving her over to Silas. This was his fault. If he hadn't told Jeremy to turn back around, Katherine wouldn't be seriously injured about now. He couldn't give her his blood, though. He was a vampire and the cure had done something to her. She couldn't digest vampire blood, because her body just rejected it every time.

Hang in there, Katherine. I'm not going to let you die like this. Keep fighting, he thought, as he raced for home.

Once in his bedroom, he gently layed her down on his bed, before blurring to the bathroom for the first-aid kit and a moment later, he blurred back and set it on the end table, before sitting on her bedside and starting to take care of her wounds the old fashioned way. It was one of the perks of fighting in the 1860's war. Everyone had to know first-aid back then just in case they ever ran into a life and death situation. He was glad that he had learned it now, because it would most likely save his former sire and love of his life's life. He started with her side wound, since it was the worse out of all of the wounds she had gotten. He'd take care of her head next, since he figured that was the second worse wound she had gotten from the wreck.

A few minutes later, after he had her wounds taken care of and the first-aid kit where it belonged, he silently sat on her bedside, hoping that she'd wake up soon. He highly doubted it, though after what she had endured tonight. He then rested a gentled hand on the right side of her face, avoiding her bandaged wound on that side and rested his other hand on top of her left one.

"I'm so sorry, Katherine. I shouldn't have done what I did. I promise you that I won't break my promise to you again. I'll protect you from Silas. Right now, I need you to wake up. Come on, Kat. Just open your eyes," he said, hoping to get through with her.

I need to know that you're okay. I have to know that I didn't totally screw this up like I always tend to do with everything and everyone else. I can fix this. Just open your eyes, he thought.

She was in total darkness. The last thing she had seen had been her part of the windshield shattering on her. She had then heard the door and footsteps, which had let her know that Jeremy was okay. Then she had heard her name being called from a distance, before plummeting into darkness. It scared her that all she saw was darkness. She thought that she'd see someone; anyone that she knew, but she hadn't. She would've been grateful if she had even seen her mother that she so dearly had missed for 500 years. Then, after what felt like almost a decade, she heard someone calling to her. She knew that voice, even though it was faint. That's when she started to fight through the darkness to find him. She knew she should hate him for what he had done, but she knew he had to have had a reason. She knew that he couldn't have just saved her for nothing. He had to have an agenda or felt guilty, since he had saved her life. Plus, even though she had said to him in the past that she had never loved Damon; that it was always Stefan that she loved, she had lied to him. She loved them both, but Damon was always the one.

Finally, after a lot of effort, she reached the end of the darkness, running towards his voice, which got less distant.

When she woke up, she saw that she was in Damon's bedroom with Damon seated on her bedside with a half worried and half relieved face.

"Finally, you're awake; took you long enough. I thought I nearly lost you."

He took his hand away from her face and his other off her hand.

"Thank you," she said, looking up at him.

"For what?"

"You saved my life and you brought me out of the darkness."

"You're welcome then. Next time though, don't wreck someone else's car and don't put your life and Little Gilbert's in possible peril. I'm sorry, Katherine. I shouldn't have told him to hand you over. I should've found a different way."

"A different way to what?"

"To find my brother. Silas told me that he knows where he is."

"I knew there had to be a reason why you were ready to let him kill me. We'll figure something out. We always do."

She slowly sat up.

"Just take it easy for at least a few days. I nearly thought that you were dying on me. You were in pretty bad condition when I found you. Just get some rest."

He got to his feet and she watched him leave, before settling down to rest.