Crossfire

Summary: They thought Klaus and Alaric were the worst that they had ever encountered together in Mystic Falls, but Damon and Elena were wrong. A new threat from Damon's past threatens everyone. Will they all work together to bring the threat down, or will they all perish alone?

It was a dark night, as Damon Salvatore walked through the forest of Mystic Falls, Virginia. It was a peaceful night tonight. The only sounds were the forest animals and the crickets chirping in unison. Damon was heading home after a couple drinks from the Mystic Bar and Grille.

Suddenly, something stabbed him in the back and he fell to the forest floor. As he did, he heard his name being called. Then everything went black for him.

Katherine Pierce had been in the forest too, when she had seen Damon. When someone had stabbed him in the back, she ran towards them yelling, "Damon! No!"

She through the guy who just so happened to be a vampire, against a tree, hand tightly around his throat, pinning him to the tree. She wanted answers and that's what she would get. But more than that, she wanted Damon to be okay. To live. She would always love both of the Salvatore brothers, no matter what they ever thought of her.

"Who the hell are you?" she questioned with venom in her voice.

"And you must be Katherine. The name's Azazel. Bloody Azazel," he answered with a wicked smile before he through her to the ground. Before she could react, he plunged a bloody knife into her chest. Then everything went black for her.

Damon didn't know how long he was out, but when he came to, the first thing he realized was that he was chained to a wall in a basement. The second thing he saw was an old enemy of his. Azazel. An Original older than even Klaus' family. And they weren't alone. Katherine was chained next to him. Only, she was still unconscious.

He yanked on his chains to try and break them, but it was to no avail. He knew that he had to get free. He couldn't let anything happen to him. Everyone was counting on him. Always. Elena needed him. His brother needed him. Elena and everybody else needed him to survive, and that's what he intended to do. His brother needed him to help him get back on track. Elena needed him to protect her from everything he could possibly protect her from. But most of all, to him, as he looked at her, he figured Katherine needed him too. Needed him to save them both.

Azazel set a bowl of blood down on a faraway desk. He had been draining her to get back at Damon. A sire's bond was the strongest of all for a vampire. He figured he would take everything he could away from Damon. He knew once he had taken everything away from Damon, he would become the Damon he had met so many centuries ago. The reckless, self-destructive Damon.

"What do you want?" Damon questioned, looking at him.

"Revenge. I will take everything away from you that you care and ever cared about."

"Why don't you just save yourself all this trouble and leave it to just you and me?"

"Because that wouldn't be very fun."

"Of course. It's all about making it fun and games for you. Isn't it?"

"You know me well, Damon. But not as well as you know your precious Katherine."

"Stay away from her," he warned with a growl.

"Or what? You're not in any condition to come to her rescue."

He growled at Azazel.

Rebekah and Niklaus were walking through the woods, when they smelled blood. They looked to see a bloody knife on the ground.