The Cure

Summary: Set in future S8. Both of them are human. Elena died not long ago, but Kat didn't, and Damon's freshly human. There's a cure that can turn him back, and he wants it. When an earthquake happens, will they both live? Will he get his wish? Will they get back together?

It was a dismal night, as chaos erupted. An earthquake had happened. It was the worst time too, since Damon was in the tunnels. After he'd taken the cure for Elena a while ago, he was human. Elena had died, so he was almost like Katherine, not knowing how to be human. And so, having heard about a possible cure that could turn him back the way he'd been, he'd gone to the tunnels. Katherine had followed him in, having not wanted him to be alone. She was kinda used to human life now, so all she was concerned about was Damon's survival. She just wanted to protect him. So, when the earthquake struck, everything went black for them, both getting hit. Then they'd gotten trapped in the section they were in.

When Kat slowly woke up, she was on her side, feeling blood on the right side of her head. She felt bruised, but got to her feet, anyway. That's when she saw that they were trapped. She also saw that her leg was cut. She ignored her injuries though, limping towards her favorite Salvatore.

She knelt by him, once she'd reached him, and removed the rocks covering his lower half. Then she saw all of his wounds. There was a rebar jabbed into his side, a piece of wood in his leg artery, and his lower stomach was bleeding. There was blood on either side of his head too, and he was pale from blood loss. She knew he'd lost a lot of blood.

She took her jacket off, immediately pulling the piece of wood out, and tied it around his artery wound. Then she pulled the rebar out, before taking his jacket gently off, using it to tied around his side and stomach wound. She then rested a hand on the side of his face, avoiding his head wound.

"Damon?" she called. "Damon, can you hear me? Open your eyes if you can hear me."

After a few minutes of nothing, she was about to try and force him awake, when she felt her phone vibrating.

She answered her phone, knowing this was her only chance of saving him. If she died, so be it. She'd had centuries. Damon? She couldn't allow that.

"Is Damon with you?" blondie inquired of her. "I can't get a hold of him."

"We're in the middle of the tunnels, trapped. Both of us are injured, but he's worst off than me. I've done what I can, but I'm still trying to wake him up. He's lost a lot of blood. You better get a crew down here ASAP," she immediately explained.

"I'm on it. Just keep him alive," she replied.

They hung up, so she put her phone back into her back pants pocket.

"Damon, I need you awake. Come on," she told him, and patted his cheek to wake him up which, after about ten minutes, worked. "Hey. Welcome back to the waking world," she greeted. "Caroline's getting a rescue crew together. Don't move. You've lost a lot of blood," she then informed him. "Right now, I need you to stay awake for me," she instructed him.

"Since when do you have knowledge of injuries?" he wanted to know.

"I always have, thanks to my mother. I just didn't have the use for it," she answered him. "Until now."

"Lucky me then, I guess," he replied.

"Exactly," she replied.

A couple hours later, thanks to the blonde vampiress, they were found. She'd been able to keep him awake long enough. Now, he was being taken to the hospital. She'd allowed them to tend to her, but since she felt like she didn't need a doctor, she stayed to help anyone else that needed help. She wasn't heartless anymore. Becoming human had helped her grow into a better person.

When Damon woke up, he saw that he was in the hospital. He wasn't alone, though. Katherine was seated on his bedside. He felt different than he had, and he wasn't attached to anything like he thought he'd be.

"I found what you were looking for. Since you weren't in the best shape, I gave it to you. You get to be a vampire as long as you want now."

She gave a smile.

He suddenly realized that she'd done it. He could see and sense everything like before. He was even healed. And he had her to thank.

He sat up in bed, before resting a hand on the side of her face.

"I don't know what I'd do without you. Thank you."

She gave a smile.

"I'd do anything for you, no matter the cost. Always. I don't know what I'd do without you, either." She gave a smile. Then she stated, "And I almost did." She knew she didn't have to say anything else. He could assume how she'd felt, knowing there was very little she could do to try and save him. She didn't have to tell him how afraid she'd been eternally. She never wanted to feel that way again.

"I'm here. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon," he replied.

"Good."

After a few minutes of looking at each other, they began to make out. And so, they eventually got back together.