Little Do You Know

Summary: Set in S8 in the future. After everyone has moved on, Bonnie and Elena are dead, and it has become peaceful without any danger in Mystic Falls, Damon's still going through the loss he feels. Going through emotional pain after everything, but also having nothing to do, he decides to find out where Katherine was taken to all those years ago, since he doesn't believe that she's truly gone. Once he finds out that she's going through her own torment and torture in a prison world, he saves her life by getting her out of the prison world. When she's well again, what will ensue between the two of them? Will their love story continued, as it should have a long time ago? Based on "Little Do You Know" by Alex & Sierra.

Little do you know
How I'm breaking while you fall asleep
Little do you know
I'm still haunted by the memories
Little do you know
I'm tryna pick myself up piece by piece
Little do you know
I need a little more time

It was a dismal night, as Damon walked through town, a bottle of Bourbon in hand, as usual. Everything had gone through hell. They'd gotten rid of Katherine after she'd tried to seek revenge by killing off the entire town, but Stefan had killed her and himself to stop her. They'd both gone up in hellfire. Now, after that, everything was peaceful. Even the heretics were gone, but Elena had died of old age recently. All of this peacefulness and his emotional pain and suffering made him want Katherine back. At least she'd given him a distraction from his pain before. He was alone now though, and he didn't know what to do. He wanted the pain gone, or at least the pain to become numb, rather than eat him up. Besides, when Katherine wasn't destroying lives, she was quite fun to be around, and she knew how to have a good time. He wished he could bring her back, but he didn't know how to. They all thought that destroying hell would mean that there was no such thing as ghosts anymore. However, he knew that there was one, maybe two prison worlds left. If Katherine wasn't disintegrated, she was in a prison world.

After thinking through all of this and, needing her distraction, even though he knew it was probably a bad idea, he decided to bring her back. If she was in a prison world, he was going to bring her back. For once in a very long time, he was going to save her from whatever torment she was enduring.

Underneath it all I'm held captive by the hole inside

I've been holding back for the fear that you might change your mind

I'm ready to forgive you but forgetting is a harder fight

Little do you know

I need a little more time

I'll wait, I'll wait

I love you like you've never felt the pain

I'll wait

I promise you don't have to be afraid

Meanwhile, Katherine was enduring never ending torment and torture. It was like hell, but it wasn't really hell. It was a prison world that brought your fears to life, as well as tormented you with the memories of those you couldn't save, as well as those that you regretted doing harm to. She tried to fight through it all, just like she always did, but she didn't know how long she'd been here, nor how to fight through this. The prison world seemed to know her inside and out. It wasn't letting her win the fight like she wanted to.

After finding an ascendant after finding out what prison world Katherine was in, Damon found his way into the prison world. It was different from the last one he'd been in with Bonnie years ago. It wasn't Kai's prison world, but he did see that Kai was there. It was different, because it was dark and gloomy, and there was a real prison there. It looked like some kind of abandoned town, but it didn't look anything like Mystic Falls.