The Murder of One

Summary: Set in S3E maybe 22. What if Stefan had left way before Sage and Troy came in? What if they went after Elena and not Stefan? What if Damon was worse off than he was in the show, when Rebekah tortured and nearly killed Damon? What if Katherine came back? Will Kat save Elena, or will she not care? Will Elena and Kat get there in time to save Damon's life, or will it be too late to save him this time? What if killing an Original didn't work the way it did in the show after Stefan killed Finn?

Elena Gilbert

It's a beautiful day, as I walk up the stairs to Alaric's apartment with breakfast for Alaric.

I knock on the door and a moment later, Damon opens it. Just not so I can see inside the apartment.

"Morning sunshine," he greets me.

"Hey, how's Alaric?"

"Indecent. But fine."

"So then, does that mean there was no issues last night?"

"Nope. Slept like a baby, woke up Alaric. No head minds about dead council members."

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?"

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid and control freaky. What'd you bring me?" he asks, taking the bag and sniffing it. "Ooh, chocolate muffins. You know what they say; a way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach."

I take the bag from him.

"They're not for you."

"Fine. Keep convincing yourself you're still mad at me. But sadly, Ric's gonna have to miss Elena time today. You know lockdown and all."

"Just take it and give it to him and tell him I miss him, okay?"

I hand Damon the bag of muffins.

"With pleasure," he replies.

"Please."

Damon starts to shut the door on me.

"Have a great day, thanks for coming by."

"Dam..." I start to say, but he closes the door on me.

I walk back down stairs.

I know he just lied to my face, but it's useless to make Damon tell me what he's hiding from me. If he's going to tell me, he'll let me know when he's good and ready. That's just how he is.

Damon Salvatore

After closing the door, I walk over to where Ric and Stefan are standing by a saw with the Whickery Bridge sign.

I listen to Elena leaving.

"Walking down the stairs, opening the front door, and she's gone."

Alaric turns the saw on and begins to saw the sign.

After we finish making stakes to kill the Originals, Alaric puts his jacket on.

"Looks like you guys have got it under control. I'm calling the sheriff. I want to turn myself in."

Stefan and I look at him.

"No you don't," I say.

"I have a homicidal alter ego. Unlike some people in this room, I would like to take responsibility for the people I've killed."