Tears Of An Angel

Summary: Set in S2, 4, and 5. Another Datherine tribute.

*The Last Day*

Cover my eyes

Cover my ears

Tell me these words are a lie

It can't be true

That I'm losing you

It was a dark night in Mystic Falls, as Katherine stood by Damon after finding out that he had been bitten.

"So, what? You're just going to die? 145 years and no last goodbye?" she asked, knowing that a werewolf bite for a vampire was a slow and painful death sentence. She didn't want that for him, but it was going to happen anyway.

He looked at her.

"For you? You don't deserve a goodbye," he replied, full of hatred for the things she had done in the past.

She silently looked back at him, not knowing what to really say to that.

*As I Lay Dying*

The sun cannot fall from the sky

Can you hear Heaven cry?

The tears of an angel

The tears of an aaaaaaaangel

Can you hear Heaven cry?

The tears of an aaaaaaaangel

Stop every clock

Stars are in shock

The river won't run to the sea

I won't let you fly

I won't say goodbye

I won't let you slip away from me

Can you hear Heaven cry?

The tears of an angel

The tears of an aaaaaaaangel

So hold on

Be strong

It was a dark night, as Damon lay in bed in his room, just moments from joining Lexi, an old friend of his brother's, on the Other Side.

A moment later, Katherine walked in with a vial of the cure in hand; Klaus' blood. She then went over to him and made the blood go down his throat.

When it was finished, she set it on the end table and rested a gentle hand on the side of his face.

He opened his eyes to see her.

She gave a smile, happy that she wouldn't lose him just yet.

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*

Everyday on we'll grow

I'm here

Don't you fear

Little one don't let gooooo

Don't let gooooo

Don't let gooooo

It was a dismal night, as Damon and Katherine stood in front of each other in the living room, Katherine trying to convince him to protect her. She was human now. She needed protection.

He bit his wrist and held it out to her.

"Here."

"I can't. No one's taken the cure before. That's a chance that I might never wake up."

"That would be tragic," he commented sarcastically.

"And there's a part of you that doesn't want me to die."

He sighed, seeing her point, but didn't show her any sign that she might be right.

Later that night, Silas showed up and tried to drown her in Damon's bath tub. Damon had left her alone, when he left to deal with a Jeremy issue. She didn't know what it was, but it was something school related.

She tried to reach the surface of the water, as he held her under, but Silas was an immortal. He was stronger than Klaus. She was human, which made it nearly impossible for her to stop him from doing what he wanted to do. And as she tried to get above water, she felt with her left hand for the knife she had left on one of the corners of the bath tub. As the minutes passed though, her struggling started to grow weaker and everything began to go dim and gray.

When Damon came home, heading for the living room, he stopped, hearing splashing of bath water. It was like someone, most likely Katherine, was being drowned in the bathtub, so he vamp-sped to his bathroom, which had the light on, only to see Silas holding her under. He knew it was Silas, since Stefan would never do that to anyone. His brother was too good for that. He knew he couldn't just watch him drown her and he knew she had just seconds left, judging from her hand starting to slip from the edge of the bathtub.

At vamp-speed, just as she stopped struggling, he pushed Silas away from her, for once in his life, protecting her, and Silas left.

When Silas had gone, he gently but quickly lifted her out of the bathtub and on the floor on a towel.

As he started heart compressions, not hearing her breathing, he said, "Come on, Katherine; Breathe. I know I screwed up by leaving you unprotected, but you need to breathe. Now is not the time to be stubborn. Breathe, Katherine. I need you to breathe for me."

Twenty minutes later, eyes still closed, she coughed, alive, which relieved him.

"Good girl," he commented.

*American Gothic*

It was a beautiful day, as Katherine sat at a bench in a diner with Rebekah, Stefan, and Elena. Then Damon sat down.

"You're losing your touch, Evil One," he commented to her.

*500 Years of Solitude*

Cover my eyes

Cover my ears

Tell me these words are a lie

It was a beautiful day, as Damon sat on her beside, watching her. He had tried to find some way to save her, but he couldn't. She was going to die human after last night's heart attack. He knew she was in pain and it was natural. Every organ in her body was failing.

"Close your eyes," he instructed, knowing all he could do was go inside her head and give her a peaceful dream or memory.

"I want to see you," she said.

"You will," he assured her.

She closed her eyes.

In the end, he gave her an 1864 memory and she died peacefully.

Later, he buried her in the Mystic Falls cemetery and she was reunited with Nadia.