Hell Is Other People

Summary: Set in S7E10 "Hell Is Other People." What if Kat came to Damon when he was in the Phoenix Stone, because she was trapped inside it too as well? Will they help each other get out, or will they be selfish and leave each other behind?

Damon woke up to find himself in the basement of a house. He thought he was alone until he sensed someone else's presence. Then she spoke, as she walked out of the darkness, looking like hell and wearing the same thing she had when she had been on her deathbed.
"Welcome to the inside of the Phoenix Stone. Maybe this is a good time as any to apologize for what you did," she greeted.
"Katherine," he said, as she slowly approached him. "What are you doing here?"
"I don't know. Maybe the universe decided that I belong here in the Phoenix Stone, whether I'm human or not. I ended up in a prison world after I died, but a few minutes late, I found myself inside the Phoenix Stone. I don't know why, but luckily it can't torment me very much, since I dealt with most of my past a long time ago. The Phoenix Stone is a kind of hell. It wants to torment you with memories, guilt, and those you've killed and those you couldn't save," she replied to him.
"Anything else I should know about?" he questioned.
"Just don't let it win or you'll be stuck here forever. You have to conquer what it can torment you with, if you want to win," she informed him.
He looked at her, as she stood in front of him, looking for a sign that she might be lying, but figured that the way she looked, she most likely wasn't in any condition to lie to him or to anyone. Looking at her, he realized that for once in her life, both vampire and human, she was telling the truth. This was something new, which meant that the stone had tormented her with something so horrific to her that she didn't feel like lying.
"What happened to you?" he inquired.
"Torment. What else? Something worse than what you tried to do to me on my deathbed. Both mental and physical," she replied, as if it wasn't obvious. He was a vampire. He could smell and see blood from her physical injuries.
He put a hand on her arm, seeing that she looked like she was about to collapse.
"Katherine?" he said, not having anything else to say.
A moment later, everything went blurry and she felt weak.
Damon caught her from hitting the floor, before gently laying her down on the floor. He then took her jacket off to look at the wounds, assessing how bad it was. When he did look her over, he saw that she'd lost a lot of blood and was very pale because of it. There was also blood on either side of her head and her lower stomach and thigh were heavily bleeding.
He used her jacket to tie around her thigh to try and slow the bleeding, before getting to his feet with her in his arms, and blurred upstairs and gently layed her down in a room. Then he blurred to the kitchen and bathroom to get what he needed. It was 1864. First-aids weren't popular, so the house wouldn't have one. He had to do this the old fashioned way, since he didn't think she could digest vampire blood. He then blurred back to the room and sat on her bedside, before using one of the towels he'd grabbed to use for her lower stomach wound. He put the towel on the wound and her right hand on the towel. He rested his hand on top of hers and applied pressure to stop the bleeding. Then he rested his right hand on the left side of her face.
"You're going to be okay, Katherine. You're going to live. I'll make sure of it. Just stay with me," he promised her. For some reason, he didn't know why, but seeing her dying from physical torment made him care about her well-being.
A few minutes later, her wounds taken care of thanks to Damon, she lay in bed alive.
He rested a gentle hand on her forehead, looking at her, seated on her bedside.
"Don't worry. We'll get out of here together. I'm not leaving you here to die again."

After what felt like several hours later, they finally both got out with Kat back in her human body, but not dying of old age or looking like it. She even recovered both mentally and physically from the Phoenix Stone and helped Damon mentally recover from it. During her time of helping him, they fell back into love several months later. And so, their story continued.