194. Pinpoint the Poison

A wave of relief and worry hit me, it was overwhelming, I forgot how to breath for a second. When I took a deep breath, Seppo was giving me my medication, but I wasn't having a crisis, I had more important issues.

"Where is Eve? Is she hurt?"

"She is in a hospital. Stable, but I don't know many details. We can go there now."

"Why is Eve in a hospital?" I got desperate.

"I am not sure yet. I can take you there, I was on my way, but I thought I should tell you first. It's in Lahti, though."

"Lahti?"

"Are you coming or not?"

"I'll follow from my car." Seppo said, as we dropped my luggages behind. I hopped in Thomas' car, he would drive faster with his detective car and the sirens.

"What do you know about it?" I asked him.

"Apparently it was a car accident. Her car and another one collided. A rented car, before you ask. They checked, she rented it three days ago. Apparently, she was by herself in the car. The other driver is fine, but he was under the effect."

"Do you know if she's badly injured?"

"I just know she's unconscious."

Don't do this to me, kulta.

"Ville, any clue why she is in Lahti? Does she have friends there?"

"Not that I know of. No one close." I pulled from my memory. Eve always complained she didn't have many friends apart people from Uni. And they were all from Helsinki.

"She didn't call you these days?"

"I don't talk to her in a while. Was she really alone in the car?"

"Apparently yes."

Was she escaping from something, from someone? Was she coming back home? It was the longest trip of my life. The trip to Lahti took more than an hour, even with Thomas speeding a lot.

In the hospital, Thomas asked for Eve's room, showing his ID and I followed him. At least he was helpful regarding this matter. I couldn't wait, I practically ran to her room when they said the number.

My heart almost stopped to the sight of her.

She was there, in a hospital bed, again. But apparently, in one piece. She appeared to be only sleeping, she didn't have any equipment to help her breathing, which was a huge relief. To see her in a hospital bed like this would always bring me memories from her coma episodes.

When I ran to her, someone held me back. It was an officer, saying I shouldn't go near her. When I was about to protest, Thomas told him to back off.

I couldn't believe she was within my touch again. She seemed so fragile, she was so thin it looked like the hospital bed was swallowing her to a black hole.

She had minor scratches on her forehead, a small bump, but other than that, she looked fine. I held her hand gently, hoping she would squeeze it, but there was no movement.

"Ville, once Eve wakes up, she needs to speak to the officers first."

"How is her condition? I'm her husband." I asked the nurse, ignoring Thomas.

"She's stable. Blood pressure was a bit high, her heartbeat as well. We are testing her blood, she's been knocked out for too long."

"Did you see her medical history? Is that worrying? She had some issues before."

"Of course we did it. The doctors ran a tomography, nothing to worry about. Now, we have to wait for the blood test results."

Blood tests. I looked at her belly, she was so skinny. Could it be possible she was pregnant? I didn't dare to ask about it, if she was, I would know soon.