136. My Heart is a Graveyard

Everybody was looking at us when we entered the hotel. Seppo, Mige, Burton and even Charlie. "We were making sure you wouldn't kill each other." Mige said.

"That was dramatic. The snow, and all." Seppo seemed amused.

"Two men enter, one man leaves." Burton said, and Eve wasn't having anyone's jokes.

"Darling, wait." I held Eve and now she was cold, shaking a bit. Or was she nervous? "You okay? I'll ask something warm for you." I made her sit at the café.

"Thanks." I asked her some English tea with milk, the way she liked it. "Here, this will help." I had a coffee myself, my hands were freezing. Charlie joined us, jumping on my lap.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"What? About Cédric?"

"Yes. You should have told me he was saying that bull..." Eve looked at Charlie. "Rubbish, to you."

I wasn't sure why I didn't. Maybe because I agreed with him I was doing a lousy job taking care of Eve. "You were so stressed out already, and I believed he was really worried about you. Well, he was, but he was also trying to... you know. First time he told me some rubbish, I got really pissed off."

"When was that?"

"In the hospital, while you were being operated."

"You should have told me."

"We had other matters." Charlie ran back to play with Lara. Eve watched her while sipping her tea, then looked down at her hands, thoughtful.

"Are you upset?" I asked her. She looked a bit disheartened.

"Uh, maybe. I didn't want to fight him, I wished things didn't go this way. I don't like to argue with people I like."

I caressed her hair and felt a bit guilty. Maybe I acted too playfully while she was probably stressed and upset for arguing with him. "But he couldn't do that, talk about our lives, thinking he knows better. He had no right to speak of you like that!" Eve got mad again and I chuckled.

"Oh, dear. I love when you get angry like this."

"I can't stand people talking shit about you. It's so unfair. I know what you did, and what you do everyday for me and Charlie. How can someone think they know better than me? You're the most caring husband and father." She smiled and caressed my face.

I held her hand and I kissed it. "I'm sorry, though. I know you were good friends with Céd."

"Well, it's a shame, I'm angry but I really don't wish him bad. I just realized we couldn't be friends if he thinks that of you, and if he doesn't respect our relationship." Eve shrugged.

"And he was ready to fight for you."

Eve rolled his eyes. "I don't even know what's worst."

We were a bit bored by not doing anything, but the blizzard stopped at night so we could travel next day. Eve was anxious to leave Paris, finally.

She was excited when we arrived at Lisbon. She said it was good to hear Portuguese, although it was very different, she even had some difficulty. The weather was also better here, it was even sunny and we had the day to walk around. Mige was disturbing her to find a Brazilian restaurant to have some drinks. We found one, but he said it wasn't the same thing.

As our trip delayed, everybody came, the guys were supposed to come later. We did some sightseeing together, something we usually didn't do anymore. But this tour was different, I felt everybody was closer. Eve and Vic were good friends. Sometimes it was inevitable, the women walking together and the men babbling about some silly gibberish. We had two kids in the group, we all looked like a big, weird family. Seppo was like a grumpy grandpa.