36. Helldone Part II

The place was crowded, but we managed to find a place near the stage. I was nervous myself, I couldn't imagine how they felt before a concert. I was a bit worried about Ville, but I knew he was going to nailed it.

I saw there was a load of journalists there, not only from Finland. I could recognize German and Spanish only, but there was several other languages. After all, it was a crucial day for Ville and the band. Seppo told me the last concerts were full of criticism because he was always too drunk to perform.

The lights went down and a big heartagram appeared in the ceiling of the stage. People started to scream right away. Leena pushed my arm in excitement. "Oh my god, it's going to be so crazy! Is it midnight already?"

"Almost." I replied. I felt so nervous about the gig. I was anxious for Ville, I could only imagine what he was feeling, after everything he had to overcome to be here again. And I didn't know half of it. Part of me was also nervous because that would be, officially, my first gig. The first one couldn't really count as one, although strucked me as hell.

A guy showed up, champagne in his hand. He spoke in Finnish and Leena told me he was the manager of Tavastia Klubi and would make the countdown for midnight. Well, at least I knew how to count some numbers in Finnish. After the countdown started, the guy left among so many hysterical screams. Kari and Anita kissed, it was cute. They hugged me after, even that Finns weren't so keen to hugs. "Happy New Year, dear."

Screams again, louder than before, if that was possible. Gas was already sitting on his drum kit and Burton was there as well. Soon, Mige and Linde started to play. They began with 'It's All Tears' and as soon as Ville emerged, I had the impression the place would go down. People screamed very loudly and tried to get near as possible the stage to see him. That was definitely a special concert. Everybody was waiting for him, to check how he was physically, how he would sing. He was smiling, but a bit to himself. Maybe he was nervous. He had his beanie on again.

As soon as he started singing, he looked at Mige and was smiling all the time. It was like he was his secure island during the concert. The song demanded an extended vocal range and he didn't disappoint. Everybody was ecstatic to see how well he was singing. He was definitely back in the game. Leena was jumping by my side but I just couldn't take my eyes off Ville. I started to feel emotional, the music giving me goosebumps, a whole new year ahead of us, and Ville was really damn happy doing what he loved most.

At the end of the song he saw us. He gave a big smile towards us and I felt my heart beat faster. When 'Right Here in my Arms' started, he grab the necklace I gave to him. I was all silly about it.

He couldn't stop smiling during the concert, and he interacted with the audience whenever he could. He spoke in Finnish most of the time, but sometimes he would say something funny in English as well. His presence on stage was stunning, he was the perfect front man. And it wasn't because it was him. I've seen my share of concerts and he definitely had something more than any other I've ever seen.

I glanced at Kari and Anita. They were the most proud parents in the world. I could see how happy they were as well, Anita had teary eyes at some point.

He smoked a lot during the concert, more than he was smoking these days, but maybe that was helping him cope with his anxiety. Every time he looked at me, smiling, I felt my face burn.

It was time for 'Funeral of Hearts'. Linde was playing the first chords, but Ville didn't sing. He was looking down, smiling, like he was thinking about something. Mige was looking at him, waiting. Then Ville spoke. "I have to thank you all for coming." Everybody screamed and he waited. "We are very glad to see the house full and you all know this is a special day. Happy New Year everybody. But I also have to thank a very special lady." People started to screamed a lot and I could barely hear him. Leena squeezed my arm and I got tense. "She's here tonight, somewhere, and this is her first concert, I mean a HIM concert. Although this next song is a wee tragic, made for broken hearts." He put his hand on his heart and the audience was restless. "I can say she's taking care of mine very well. Kulta, this is for you." He didn't look at me, but he held my necklace, his eyes were closed and I could feel he was a bit shaken. I started to cry and Anita put a hand on my shoulder. He poured all his soul into the music and I sang along, or tried, with him. I was sobbing through the entire song. I thought about him at the rehab, and how he came back at Christmas as the most lovely miracle. Most of the time he sang with his eyes closed, but in the end he looked at me and smiled, but didn't linger. Maybe he didn't want to draw attention, I felt some eyes above me already.