60. Gone with the Sin

I didn't know the implications of his absence, but I was definitely worried. Timo probably saw it in my face.

"We will go on as planned and wait until he shows up." He said. I even felt a bit dizzy, all I wanted was to end this nightmare and had big expectations that this would happen today.

He motioned to where we should go. We passed by the two men, they looked at us and I ignored. Ville was holding my hand as we walked and squeezed it. He looked at me but said nothing. I knew he was asking if I was okay. He pulled me closer to him.

"The taller man is Marius' father. He swears he doesn't know where he is. The last time he saw him was yesterday night." Timo said when we were alone on the other side of the building.

"What happens now?" Ville asked.

"Everything goes as normal, as this is not a judgement yet. He will only lose the opportunity to defend himself. His father will probably come out with something, like he is sick. And... He would probably be arrested today. Now he can be considered a fugitive if he doesn't show up, as he has many allegations against him."

"And I thought we would solve everything today." I was disappointed, and Ville was angry, his teeth clenched.

"They will call you in five minutes. You first, Eve. Ville, you will have to wait outside. Tell everything as you remember, as the judge will check if your stories are the same. And Eve, the judge will be tough on you, as you are a foreigner and doesn't speak Finnish. Try not to be nervous."

"I'll do my best."

"It's going to be alright, kulta." Ville tried to reassure me, but he was a bit tense himself.

Timo followed me to the room, I was really nervous, I've never had this experience before. In another country it seemed even worse. Marius' father was there already and gave me a harsh look.

The judge was a woman and she said some words in Finnish and I froze. Did she know I didn't understand? I only comprehended where I should sit and I obeyed. Timo then explained to her I didn't speak Finnish and I would give my statement in English. She nodded but didn't seemed amused. Timo said he would translate if needed.

She asked me how things happened, since the very beginning. I tried to remember every detail and follow a timeline so I wouldn't lose myself, as she asked me how I met Marius.

"I was in a concert, in Oulu. My boyfriend's band, when he approached me."

She made weird questions. I've just told her I was in my boyfriend's concert. "Did you have any romantic interaction with him?"

"No, of course not. He was a stranger and like I've said, I was at my boyfriend's concert."

"Ville Hermanni Valo." She read in the paper, I nodded.

I spoke about all the encounters I had with him, at coffee shops, bars, at the University. Timo interrupted to say he wasn't a student like he told me. His father snorted and the judge gave him a harsh look, like it was a warning that he should remain quiet. Timo also gave the judge the e-mail Marius' former advisor sent him. He said Marius dropped the master's because he never accepted critics and that it was unbearable to work with him.

Then she finally asked about Valentine's Day. I tried not to get angry, because she insisted in asking questions about Marius, as if I liked him in a romantic way. Sometimes it was like he was a victim of my seductive skills, I tried not to be defensive about it. And that was hard for me.

I showed her my hand, that was still hurting, my exams and photos at the time. Marius' father finally spoke. He asked permission and the judge granted it.