97. Memories Sharp as Daggers

"Ville? Are you crying?"

"Just go away, Eve. Leave me alone."

"Why are you crying? Are you hurt? Did the boys hurt you?" Ville was sitting alone, while the other kids were playing during playtime.

"No... I did. I punched Simo on the face."

"Why did you do that?"

"Because he makes fun of me, of my hair. He says I look like a girl."

"I like your hair."

"You do? No one likes it."

"Well, I do." Ville wiped away his tears. Eve got near him, looking at his face. They had almost the same size, but Eve was thin as paper, Ville was a bit chubby. He had light brown hair, almost blonde, that was now by his ears, curling a bit at its ends.

Eve had a long, dark hair, very thin and shiny. Ville loved her hair but would never say it. The boys made fun when he said it once. They said Ville envied Eve's hair and was afraid she thought the same.

For Ville, it was difficult concentrating in class, he just couldn't pay attention to what the teacher said, while other kids answered her correctly. Ville sensed Eve's eyes on him and got irritated. He was worried she found him stupid, but she was worried why he didn't answer. Ville kicked his desk and everybody looked. It scared Eve and she didn't look anymore.

The class finished and Eve was walking behind Ville, she didn't speak with him, she was a bit scared of him.

"Ville, honey." Anita held little Ville and he got a bit shy. "Everything alright, dear?"

Ville just nodded. He was looking Eve waiting for her mother. No, today was Thursday, her father would pick her up.

Anita followed where Ville was looking. "Do you wanna go there and say goodbye to Eve?"

Ville nodded. "Mom, her father didn't arrive yet. He's never late."

"You're very attentive, aren't you? So let's go there and make her company."

Ville held Anita's hand, hiding behind her. "Hello, Eve." Anita said to Eve.

"Hi." Eve peeked behind Anita, Ville hid himself a bit, he was ashamed for kicking his desk and for scaring her at class. Eve thought he was angry at her, for some reason.

"Do you mind if me and Ville wait for your father with you?"

"No."

"Is he coming from work?"

"Yes. My mom asked him to come."

"But Thursdays are his days." Ville said.

"Not anymore, but my mom is home taking care of my brother Nick. He's sick."

"Nick is an idiot."

"Ville! Don't say such a thing. Say you're sorry, now."

Ville looked down, and then to Eve. "I'm sorry."

Eve nodded, while she played with her hair. Ville wanted to touch Eve's hair, it was so beautiful. "Why do you say such thing of Nick? He's really a sweet boy." Anita said.

Ville shook his head. Anita saw his pale cheeks were extremely red and didn't ask anymore. Ville said it because Nick once told his friends Ville was Eve's boyfriend. Nick was ten, three years older than him, he was way bigger, so he couldn't really fight him.