115. Drunk on Dreams

Ville's POV

I heard Charlie and Eve laughing in the kitchen and that heavenly sound was music to me. I scratched my eyes, I was numb. Eve loved me still, after all. That made me smile to myself and I joined them after a while.

"Oh, hi. Sorry, I saw the food and made a plate for myself." Eve said, smiling apologetically.

"Of course, I've made it for us, I just didn't want to wake you up. Did you manage to sleep well?"

"I did. I slept like a rock."

"That's good." I held Charlie, she was playing with my hair and laughing about it. Eve was watching us, smiling. But then I saw her expression turning from water to wine. She even closed her eyes, she seemed in pain. I put Charlie down immediately. "Eve, what is it?" I ran to her, bending on my knees. She was curling herself, flinching in pain. Her face was pale, she took a deep breath and coughed violently. Each cough seemed painful to her. "Charlie, go search for a, hum, stay in the living room for me, please." Charlie looked at Eve with a serious face, I knew Eve was holding herself because of Charlie. "Please, sweetie." She obeyed like the good girl she was, but she hesitated, looking at Eve, who managed to gave her a crooked smile.

When Charlie left the kitchen, Eve almost fell in my arms. Tears were running from her face, I got desperate. "It. Hurts. Like. Hell." She was out of breath, she could barely speak. I saw the pain in her face and it was horrible, I had no idea what to do. I held her face and she looked at me with the worst painful expression.

"Let's take you to the hospital." I grabbed her in my arms and she covered her mouth in pain, trying not to scream. She flinched a lot. "I'm sorry darling, did I hurt you?" I was even afraid to touch her, I had no idea what was happening to her.

She couldn't reply, she was sobbing. I put her in the couch while I called a taxi. These was one of those moments I cursed myself for not driving. I called Seppo as well, whoever comes faster. "Charlie, can you grab your bag? We need to go right now." I told her, she was scared watching her mother suffering, but she ran to pick it. I didn't want her to see Eve like that, she started to cry, and asked what was happening. Eve couldn't speak much, and if she didn't oppose in going to the hospital, things were pretty serious.

"I don't know what is it." Eve muttered, I got even more desperate. If she didn't know, to my was even worse. She was pale, she was restless, couldn't stop moving, she said she was feeling a violent pain in her back and the pain seemed so excruciating sometimes I thought she was passing out. I gave her space, at the same time I wanted to hold her, I wasn't sure what to do. I thought about gave her some painkiller, but I had no idea what it was, it could get worse. "Hold on, just a bit more, darling."

"This is... Horrible." She said while sobbing. "Can't breath it hurts."

Seppo came first, which was good. He helped me to put Charlie on her chair while I carried Eve.

I watched Eve on the car and I could hear her noises of pain all the way. Seppo looked worried and ran fastest he could. When we arrived at the hospital, I carried Eve out, and she let out a scream of pain that made my heart skip a beat. "We're here darling, hold on." The nurses and a doctor quickly came to see and took her. "What happened?" The doctor asked.

"She was eating when she felt a violent pain in her back. It was all of a sudden." I explained and the doctor nodded, telling to take her to the x-ray room. He asked if I gave her any meds, if she had allergies. I just shook my head, watching her. "Are you her husband?"

"Yes. I'm her husband." A nurse gave me the papers while they moved Eve out of my sight. "You have to wait here." Eve was on the stretcher and looked at me. I had no idea what to say, I muttered "I love you" to her. Maybe she didn't see or hear it. I was afraid for her, the desperation hit me hard.