114. We've Been Slaves to This Love

Ville's POV

Sometimes when life gets difficult and you think things can't get worse, think again. Eve wasn't talking to me, just things about Charlie, it was unbearable. One day she went to drop Charlie with me and I had to put an end to this situation.

"Can you come in for just a bit? I have to talk to you."

"I'm in a bit of a hurry." She replied dryly.

"I won't take long, I know you're a busy person."

"Come, mama." Charlie pulled Eve by her hand and she entered our house. This house was hers as well. Charlie let go of Eve and ran to the couch, where some of her toys were.

"What is it?" She asked me.

"I just wanted to say... I've received the divorce papers." That was bad even to say it out loud. I thought she wouldn't do that. "Eve, I just want to ask you a thing. Please, leave this for another moment. Do you really need to do this right now?"

"Why not? So you can be a free man, not that being married stops you from anything."

"Oh, so you're doing it for my sake? Please." I scofffed. "Let's not go down this path. I'm... I'm not seeing anyone."

"That's not what I saw with my own eyes and I think I saw something while passing on the newsstand. Some other young model, right?"

Shit, I had a thing the other day, but it was just a drink and the gossip magazines were already saying we were a couple. "I'm not with anyone."

"Well, I don't care."

"That's not what looks like. But I guess you want to be free as well."

"We have to solve this. It's simple as that."

"Why, Alexander proposed to you already?"

"What?" She scoffed and ignored my question. I got nearer her and she was aware of that, looking with the corner of her eye. "Eve, all I ask you is some time. Please, think about this."

"I don't have nothing to think about it. I've made up my mind."

She was stubborn and that wouldn't change so easily. "I won't sign them. Sorry, I won't."

"Don't make things difficult, Ville. Just don't. I have to go, I'll call you later so I can pick Charlie at night. Hopefully won't see Lyydia around."

"I've just told you I'm not seeing anyone. But it's cute you're jealous." I provoked her.

Her face started getting red, she was mad. She wanted to say a lot of things, but she held herself. "Whatever. Bye, darling, I'll see you at night, okay?" She extended her arms to Charlie, who hugged her.

We stayed in this situation where nobody spoke a while, until something utterly horrible happened. A girl was murdered here in Helsinki and all it seemed like the murderer was Marius' copycat. Some stalker that was obsessive and things went terribly wrong. That's the problem in having big media over psychopaths, there's always some other wanting the same thing, attention. Although Marius didn't kill anyone, the person followed his steps. I was worried how this would affect Eve, this kind of thing wasn't common in Finland so it took huge proportions.

I found out the worst way. It was night already, when she knocked on my door one day. "Eve?" She didn't seem alright, Charlie was on her lap, sleeping. I grabbed Charlie, she didn't wake up. "Come in."

I put her on the couch, covering her. Eve had red eyes, I knew she was crying. I wonder how she drove here like that. I wanted to hold her, she seemed so fragile. She could knock me down, scream at me, I didn't care. I caressed her hair and her face. "Tell me what's wrong."