153. The Sweetest Torment

Morning came, and I didn't rest until I saw Dr. Ecclestone walking on the corridors. "Jesus Ville, did you spent the night here? You look awful."

"Do you have news on Eve?"

"The doctor in charge just told me."

"And?"

"Eve didn't wake up. We can say Eve's in a coma, technically."

I wanted to punch the walls, scream, kick everything. "No, it can't be. You're a genius, go figure it out what's going on with her brain."

"I'll see her now. We will ran some tests but there's nothing much to do. As long as Eve has her normal vitals, she'll be fine."

"Can I see her?"

"Wait a bit. I'll let you know."

This was tremendously unfair. Eve didn't belong in a hospital bed, into a coma, again. This had to be a nightmare, the worst of them.

Laura and Ando appeared in the hospital with Charlie, who ran and hugged me. I couldn't help but feel so miserable, but I held myself.

"Ville." Laura saw in my eyes something was wrong. I looked down at Charlie, when she asked for her mother. "Mom's sleeping, dear. She was too tired, you know."

"She sleeps a lot."

"Yeah, she's a sleepyhead sometimes, isn't she?"

"When it's Sunday. She sleeps so much I miss the Moomins on the telly."

"Yeah, I guess she thought it was Sunday."

"Why don't you wake her up?"

"Because mom needs to rest. Let her recover herself, okay?"

"Let's have coffee." Ando pulled me by the arm, and then I realized I was a bit in shock. Things around me seemed slower, I wasn't paying attention, only to Charlie. My head was in the clouds, I could only see Eve in the bed.

Charlie distracted herself with some other kids while I had a cup of coffee, nothing solid went to my stomach, I just couldn't. "Eve's in a coma again. She didn't wake up. That's what Dr. Ecclestone said."

"I can't believe this. Maybe we should take her to another hospital." Laura was making a fuss already.

"Laura, I trust Dr. Ecclestone. He's really the best."

"I don't know, he doesn't give us any answers."

"Calm down, dear." Ando held her hand.

"How can you be so calm when your daughter is in a coma, again?" Laura was enraged, and then her anger turned to me. "You shouldn't let her donate blood to your... Your lover, or whatever."

"Laura, she's not my lover." I got angry.

"She didn't have to save anyone, specially someone with whom you betrayed Eve. That's evil, Ville. How could you do this to her?"

"Laura." Ando tried to hold her anger down.

"It's okay."

"No, it's not okay. Oh, get out of my sight." I did what I was told. I got up, and went to Charlie. She was telling me about her new buddies, but I was shaken. Those were harsh words from Eve's mother. She really meant them, she wasn't just angry and said them in the spur of the moment. And it was true.

"She's just nervous." Ando sat by my side.

"It's fine, I understand. Besides, she's right."

"I am angry at you as well." Ando said, but he had the same facial expression. "Eve didn't deserve any of this, but I'm not saying her coma is your fault." I had anything to say, I felt ashamed. "Go take a shower, and rest. We will stay here. Let Laura calm herself a bit."