70. No Shelter From the Rain

My father showed Ville the Japanese instrument I've told him, it belonged to my grandfather.

"It's called Shamisen." My father said.

"Oh, I saw this when I was in Japan, I think..." Ville was thinking and he looked up, like he always did when remembering something and I always thought it was cute. "4 or 5 years ago. Me and Mige went to see a presentation, quite interesting. Can I?"

"Sure." My father handled him the instrument.

"It looks like a banjo. But three stringed. It has a very peculiar sound." Ville managed to play something on it. He had fun playing it. "Do you know what material is this, the strings?"

"It's nylon. Used to be silk, but it's hard to find it." My father explained. They talked about it while I made coffee with my mom. Sometimes he glanced at me, smiling. Ville definitely conquered my parents. My father loved to speak about Japanese culture, and my mother, about her work. He could definitely talk about everything.  He was already making plans to watch a sumo fight in Japan with my dad and I giggled at the image.

I helped him changing the guitar strings. "You have a very good ear, Ville. I was never able to tune it like that."

He smiled. "Well, that's what I do, my whole life." He played a bit for us. It's amazing how music transforms and changes our surroundings.

My mom had made him a chocolate cake he could eat and he got all happy about it. "Thank you, Laura. It's delicious."

My appetite was weird and I didn't feel like eating. I sensed Ville's eyes on me. He touched my hand, slightly. "Aren't you hungry, kulta?"

"No. We ate a lot in that vegan restaurant."

"You ate so little, actually." He frowned a bit. I saw he seemed worried and I tried to eat a bit more. He knew I loved chocolate cake, and if I wasn't eating, probably there was something wrong. I saw him and my mom exchanging looks.

She made me go to several doctors. I was tired and didn't want Ville to spend our vacation visiting doctors with me, as he went to each appointment. But I had promised him I would take care of me.

"Kulta, get dressed. We're gonna have dinner. Out."

I looked at him surprised. "Where?"

"It's a surprise." He giggled.

"Oh gosh. Okay."

I was choosing a dress and Ville stuck his head on my closet. "Why don't you wear this? It looks beautiful."

I laughed. "Alright, someone is choosing everything tonight."

"Sorry, didn't mean to, I just think it's gonna be beautiful on you."

"I'm gonna try, I don't use this dress for a long time."

I put it on while Ville looked at me. I turned to him and he pretended he wasn't looking and I giggled. It was a short dark floral dress, with spaghetti straps. It was very cute, indeed. I put it on and checked myself in the mirror. I could see how skinny I was, the dress got big on me and it shocked me a bit. I tried not to frown. "So?"

"You look stunning, as always." Ville caught my hand and made me spin.

"Okay. But it's a bit cold so I'm gonna wear... Stockings."

Ville let out a roar playfully and I laughed. "Damn be the stockings."

He was dressing himself as well, he put his completely black outfit, wearing a shirt and a black suit. He was always so elegant, I was never tired of looking at him.