16. Bleeding Heart

I woke up groggy with some noise. It was the nurse, changing his IV. I glanced at the clock, it was six in the morning. Ville was sleeping.

The nurse saw I was awaken and explained me he was with a medication to sleep better, so he wouldn't woke up so soon, in case I wanted to grab a coffee.

I decided to do so. Seppo said he would be here by nine o'clock, I wouldn't go back to sleep. I went by the bed to check on him.

His breathing was better. Way better. I heard some talking in the middle of the night, doctors coming in and out, but they were speaking in Finnish. He looked better, wasn't so pale anymore, and he looked at peace, really resting. I wanted to kiss him, but I couldn't wake him, so I went to grab a coffee.

I changed and went to the cafeteria. I needed a coffee so bad. I caught myself thinking about what happened last night. His touch on my skin. Just by remembering it, I felt the familiar burn in my whole body. And he was also so sweet. I could see he was in pain, he was fighting his own demons, but still there was a gentleness in him that always made my heart beat faster.

I couldn't remember when I felt like this before. I was smiling to myself, in the middle of the cafeteria. I went back to the room, he was still sleeping. I caressed his hair slightly.

Another doctor came in and read his medical history. He asked me something in Finnish but quickly changed to English.

"Are you family?"

"No... A friend."

"Well, Mr. Valo will need some specific treatment. I need him to visit me on Friday, this week. This is my card, he already has an appointment. If he can't be there, give us a call. It's in my clinic downtown." He handled me a card. He continued. "Since you're no family, I can't give you details. But he will wake up soon and he can leave today, if he's feeling better. But he must rest this week, no concerts, no drinking or smoking."

I wasn't sure how he would handle this part of no smoking. But I would help him, no matter what.

"This is important. If you are a good friend, you will help him. He needs support. If he doesn't change his habits, I'm afraid he can suffer from a greater problem."

I asked him what kind of problems, but he wouldn't fill me in. I understood, I wasn't family like he said. Or nothing, actually.

Just a girl he met on a coffee shop days ago.

Seppo was on time. Boy, he looked tired. We talked about how Ville spent the night, but since he was on medication, it went alright.

We also discussed his health condition, but Seppo didn't say much. He was sparing me something, and I could understand, again. He didn't trust me and I didn't blame him. He was very concerned about Ville and he couldn't spread the word like that.
At least he let me stay. He was always on the phone discussing things.

Ville woke up by eleven. He smiled to me all groggy. "Morning, sleeping beauty."

"Morning, kulta. What time is it? Did I sleep too much?"

"It's 11. But you needed it, Ville. How are you feeling?"

"Lazy. But I feel good, indeed. Sorry I didn't wake up earlier."

"Why are you sorry? You really needed the sleep and I'm so glad you rested."

"What did you do during this time? Is Seppo here?"

"Yes, he's somewhere on the phone, as usual. I just watched TV. Unfortunately I didn't have a book here with me."

"Did Seppo talk to you?"