The War

Summary: Just a one-shot. Damon is in the war. Will he be one of the survivors, or will he be one of the many fallen heroes of war?

A/N: A fan of mine on Wattpad suggested for me to do a story on Damon when he was in the war, so I changed it around a bit. Damon is the first one who meets Katherine after she saves his life.

It was a dark night, as Damon Salvatore crouched down in a ditch with his comrades, explosives and bombs going off, men shouting out, following orders of their Sargent. Then, following their lieutenant's orders, he and his comrades ran between enemy lines.

As Damon ran, he saw his comrades go down one by one. Then, in the next second, he fell to the ground shot but alive. As everything started to go black, he felt someone dragging him. Probably to safety. Then everything went black and he didn't hear, feel, or see anything more.

He wasn't sure how long he was out, but when he awoke he was no longer in the field of war. Instead, he was in a house somewhere. Not just any house. A cabin. He was in bed in a cabin room.

He sat up.

He knew he had been shot and should've felt pain or should've died, but there was no pain and he was alive. He also didn't see any wounds on himself, which he thought as strange.

A female walked in just then.

"I thought I heard you wake," she commented.

"Where am I?" he asked her.

"You're at my place. My name is Katherine Pierce, by the way. And who may you be?"

"Damon Salvatore."

"Nice to meet you, Damon," she greeted.

"What am I doing here?" he asked.

"I brought you here. I saved your life," she replied to him.

"Thank you," he said.

"You're very welcome."