Chapter 28

(A/N)

Y'all are lucky I love you.

*******

After the long drive, the Pentatonix Pack finally arrived at The Counsel's old headquarters.

Avi stared at the large doors when he approached them. He looked to Scott, who was beside him.

Avi gestured him to walk in first. "Ladies first."

Scott squinted at him. "Age before beauty."

"Are you younger than me?"

"Well yeah. Duh."

"Since when?"

"Since birth."

Kevin rolled his eyes and pushed past the both of them.

Kevin walked in first, Avi following.

Scott was the last inside, making sure the Omegas were in front of him.

Someone tapped on his shoulder lightly, making him jump a little, but he quickly recovered.

The man smiled at him. "Hello. Pentatonix Pack, I presume? What an honor it is to meet you."

Scott shook the man's hand. "You must be a Beta."

The man chuckled. "That I am. A proud one, at that. But you can call me Albert."

Avi shook his hand then. "Avi." He said shortly.

Albert nodded. "Lead Alpha, yes? I can tell."

Kevin shook his hand excitedly. "I'm a Beta too. Yay us."

"Cheers! And who are you two lovely.. Omegas? Both of you?"

Mitch nodded and shook Albert's hand. "Yes, Sir."

Albert held his hand a moment longer, looking him up and down. Not in a creepy way, but more.. In awe of him. "A male Omega... Extraordinary. In all my years I'd never seen one before."

Mitch smiled a little, but when he met Scott's jealous eyes, he yanked his hand away from Albert and looked at the ground.

Kirstie walked over then, but rather than shaking Albert's hand, she hugged him. "Hi! Can I call you Alie? Or Al?"

"Anything you want. I'm open to suggestions."

Kirstie giggled and moved away. "You're funny."

Albert looked to Kevin. "Aren't all Betas funny? I thought that was a given."

Kevin chuckled. "I've tried to tell them."

Avi seemed just a little impatient, seeing as how he and this particular building had a rough history. "So.. Albert? Are you in charge of all of this?"

"Oh Heavens to Betsy, no! I'm just here to greet you all."

Mitch laughed a little at the expression, but then hid his face in Scott's side to avoid embarrassment.

Albert started walking towards two large, white doors, waving the others over. "Come with me."

Avi followed instantly, feeling Kirstie following him closely.

Albert opened the doors and let them all walk in to see the full view, and let it really sink in.

Kevin glanced around the small room, honestly expecting something different.

Avi turned to Albert. "What exactly is the plan, here?"

Albert closed the door behind him and then gestured to two doors on the other side of the room. "We're going to split your pack in half, temporarily. Just to see how differently you'll react in different situations. We'd like to see the difference between Lead Alphas' instincts, and second in command Alphas'. And also if there is any difference in a male Omega's responses, versus a female Omega's."

Kevin raised his hand a little. "And what will I do, exactly?"

"You're going to come with me to a surveillance room, where other members of the new Counsel will be. We're hoping someone of your intelligence can help us to interpret some of their different decisions. Also, your knowledge of the members in your pack will help us to understand why they make the choices they make."

A tall Alpha walked into the room, followed by a female Beta.

She spoke first. "I'm just going to attach these microphones to you. Just so we can have some sound along with the image."

The Alpha started on Scott, slipping a wire under his shirt before clipping the end to the neckline.

Finally he tucked the large black box into Scott's pocket.

Then the Alpha proceeded to do the same to Avi.

Avi turned to Albert. "Remind me. What exactly is the point of this?"

"Just so that we can better understand Alphas, Betas and Omegas. If we can better understand the different rankings, it will help us to set guidelines and become a better society. To be the counsel that The Counsel couldn't be."

When everyone had microphones attached to them, the Beta and the Alpha left.

Albert turned to the pack once more. "Are we ready to begin? Keep in mind. There are no wrong answers. Just let your instincts take over. This is an experiment, not a test."

Kevin glanced at his pack once more, and then followed Albert out the door to the surveillance room.

Avi turned to Scott and gave him a look. "Be careful, Rookie."

"Same to you. See you on the other side." Scott winked, before grabbing Mitch's hand and walking through the door on the right.

Avi kissed Kirstin's head one more time before leading her into the other doorway.

He heard the door lock behind them, and he gulped. "Boy oh boy. What have we gotten ourselves into, Kitten?"

Kirstie giggled. "We're like little lab rats."

"I don't want to be a rat. Scott can be a rat." Avi grumbled.

Suddenly, he heard a loud voice come over the speakers that must've been placed in the rooms. "There are six rooms you must get through. Each contains a different challenge. Good luck to you all."

And then the speakers made a clicking sound, signalling the message being complete.

Kirstie snuck her hand into Avi's as the walked through the dark room, that seemed to be getting darker. "Alpha... Can you see anything?"

Avi shook his head slightly, although he was trying to squint to see something. "Not really.. I'm going to turn the Alpha on, okay? Just so I can see better."

She nodded in approval, and Avi let his eyes slip red so that he could see better.

Kirstie held his arm tighter when the room seemed to be pitch black.

Avi let her do it, and continued to walk. "Don't be scared, Princess. I won't let you run into anything, I promise."

She nodded and followed him blindy, clinging desperately to his arm.

Avi smiled a little when he saw the next door. "Okay. Walk in the dark. Check. Next room."

He turned the knob, and then he and Kirstie walked through into the next room of uncertainty.

Kevin was upstairs with a group of three Alphas and two Betas.

The tallest Alpha pointed at a screen that showed Scott and Mitch. "Why is the dark room taking these two so much longer?"

Kevin peeked over his shoulder at the screen. "Oh, that's just Mitchie. He's scared of the dark. Scott is probably just trying to get him to calm down."

A Beta that was holding a notebook started scribbling a few observations down.

Kevin glanced back towards one of the twelve screens, that showed the room Avi and Kirstie were in.

He walked a little closer, unsure of what he was seeing. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me."

*********