Chapter 116

Alex opened the door quickly to the stairwell, but when he started to run up the stairs, he only made it about two flights up before he almost tripped over Scott, sitting on one of the stairs with his head in his hands.

Alex smiled and sat down beside him. "Hello! Why are you hiding? Is this a game of some kind?"

"No, Xand. It isn't a game." Scott replied tiredly.

"You sound annoyed. Did I annoy you? I can leave... But I was sort of, instructed to find you..."

Scott shook his head at him. "You can stay. You're not annoying. I'm just... Angry."

"I can tell. I can almost feel it..." Alex admitted quietly, while Scott moved to sit sideways on the stair, leaning his back on the wall to the right of the staircase.

Alex moved to sit on the stair below Scott's, and leaned into Scott's side.

Scott put his arm over Alex's shoulders, and thought about how much different Alex's shoulders felt in comparison to Mitch's.

Alex sat there in Scott's comfort, staring at his own hands. "I... I've been thinking about The Counsel... When they said I naturally gravitate towards you...? I'm.. I'm sorry if that bothers you... I know it upsets Mitch... And I know it upset Travis..."

Scott squeezed his shoulders a little in reassurance. "It's fine, Allie. I don't mind. You'll never come between me and my little Mitchie. I just wish Mitch would figure that out."

"But.. You don't have to treat me like this. I can just...I'm fine on my own." Alex tried, looking up to meet Scott's eyes.

"No, Al. I'm not gonna repeat this, okay? I know you don't have a good history with Alphas, but I need you to believe that there are good people out there. Good Alphas. And I like to think that I'm one of them. So I will do everything I can to help you along until you find an Alpha of your own."

Alex leaned into him a little more, Scott's warmth being the only real sense of comfort he'd been able to hold onto since Travis left.

Todrick was always there as a friend, but he could never provide the protection and care of an Alpha.

And even if Scott wasn't his, Scott was willing to show him what an Alpha should be like. He was willing to fill the void, within certain limits.

And right now, that's all that Alex needed.

********

Kevin decided he and Todrick were going to make a fancy dinner, with some ingredients that they'd brought with them without telling anyone.

About half way through the preparation, Alex still hadn't come back, and Todrick decided this would be the perfect time to discuss the letter with Kevin.

He was quickly preparing a side dish of salad, when he glanced over at Kevin, working on the main course of the meal. "Um.. Kevy?"

"Yes?"

"I... When we went back to the house, all of Travis' stuff was gone... But he left a note for Alex... And I didn't want him to see it, because he was with Jake, and he had a smile on his face that I hadn't seen in a while..." Todrick began.

"You don't have to justify your actions to me. I understand why you did it. And I probably would've done the same thing. Have you looked at the letter at all?"

Todrick shook his head, but pushed the salad bowl to the side and pulled the letter out of his pocket, slapping it down on the counter. "I... Thought I should ask you."